Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thumbs Down to Food Producers

Spring is only a few days away, and today was a teaser...sunny with temp in the 70s. It was a glorious day to get out and run around town.

First stop was a bookstore, where Mother and I perused cookbooks featuring no-salt recipes. We found one that has several tasty-looking dishes, as well as other recipes that we think we can adapt.

Several recipes call for no-salt bouillon, so one of our stops included a grocery store to pick up both chicken and beef bouillon. Unfortunately, I failed to read the labels for food dye information until I got home. Wouldn't you know, both have yellow dyes, and I'm allergic to yellow dyes. The dyes are not in regular bouillon we have on hand, so why must it be in the no-salt varieties?

While at the grocery store, I also looked for a one-a-day multi-vitamin specific to women. All of them contain yellow dye. The only multi-vitamin I found without yellow dye was a formula for men.

It's getting pretty frustrating trying to find products that I can safely use. And I'm getting more and more angry with food and vitamin producers.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

Try Puritan's Pride vitamins. I was looking there on the site and found multi-vitamins for women with no yellow dye in them. Just go to puritan.com.

Sixty Something said...

OK. Thanks. I remember your telling me about Puritan's Pride. I was hoping to find vitamins locally and avoid shipping and handling charges, but I guess that's not going to happen.