Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Salsa Lesson

Last night, Hubbie and I attended a ballroom dance lesson...this time it was Salsa. Of all the ballroom dances, Latin ones seem to stump us the most. The music is so fast that we have difficulty processing the steps in our minds or making our feet and hips obey the beat.

After making one feeble attempt, our instructor separated Hubbie and me. She sent me to dance with another male student, while she took charge of Hubbie. The other student and I fumbled our way through the routine, but finally (sort of) managed it. The other student was doing fine with his part, which doesn't have many tricky moves, but I was flummoxed for a while with my twisting and turning role.

The instructor moved me to another male partner toward the end of the session, and I had even more difficulty with this one, whose style was completely different from the first partner. I never did quite get in step with him, which he attributed to my fighting him and not being relaxed enough. I'm sure he was right

After we got home, Hubbie commented that we'd learned something from the lesson...that we probably won't be doing Latin dances very much. But just in case, we ordered three DVDs of Rumba, Tango, and Salsa lessons.

0 comments: