Saturday, April 19, 2008

Typical Saturday

Today was average for a Saturday...household chores, laundry, and shopping. I thought when we retired we'd avoid shopping at the worldwide discount chain store on Saturdays, but we don't. So we were there again today. Well, actually, I was there twice today. My first trip was to take Mother for a leisurely browse through the health and hygiene departments. Hubbie gets impatient with leisurely browses, so he stayed home.

My second trip was with "get-er-done" Hubbie to shop for groceries necessary to put together dishes listed on our supper menues for next week. Our method of shopping together is for him to check my list and rush off to look for items while I'm standing and waiting endlessly to be served at the deli meat and cheese counter. Back and forth he sprints, to the paper goods aisle and back, to the dairy cases and back, to the canned goods aisle and back, etc., each time returning with an armload of stuff.

Since the grocery store is at the opposite end of the store from the health and hygiene departments, Mother is never up for doing her grocery shopping on her health and hygiene shopping day, so she sends her grocery list with us. It's usually Hubbie's job to dash around gathering her requested items, as well, while I continue waiting my turn at the deli counter.

After I finally get my deli order filled, Hubbie and I finish shopping together, because I need to be the one to choose the meats, vegetables, and fruits. That completed, we're ready to stand endlessly in the checkout line and, finally, head home.

Today's shopping included a morning trip to the store that advertises sales every week. Mother went on this trip, though she didn't find anything she could use. Hubbie found reasonably priced khaki pants, though, and I came away with a pair of capris and a couple of pairs of seersucker shorts.

This morning, too, before Mother and I went to the worldwide discount chain store, we dropped by that other store that advertises sales every week. I found a couple of knit shirts there, though Mother was unsuccessful again.

Shopping is a chore, but it sure was a beautiful day for getting out.

0 comments: