Monday, August 25, 2008

The Ailments of Friends

The water at the college pool felt great once I was in it this morning. News from the pool today is that one of the group was diagnosed with breast cancer within the past couple of weeks. I worked with this lady during a session for children at the art gallery recently, but apparently at that time she had not yet gotten the results of her biopsy. She and I also worked together several years ago, when I did a month-long photography residency at the middle school where she was a teacher.

Also this morning, a former water aerobics member visited. About a year ago, she and her husband sold their home, bought a fifth-wheel camper, and hit the road. They are back in town right now to visit her husband's elderly father. Eventually, I think, this couple plans to settle down in a town several miles south of here. This lady, who is younger than I am, suffered a stroke about ten years ago, brought on by the extreme stress of her job. She quit her job, of course, and learned the value of play. She was tanned and healthy looking today...and best of all, she glowed with happiness.

After lunch, I took Mother to the worldwide discount chain store, so she could shop for vitamins and other personal items. When we got back home, I ran errands with Hubbie...to the bank, to the health store, and back to the WDCS, this time for groceries for us and for Mother, who didn't want to hike back up to the grocery end of the store after she'd shopped in health and beauty aids earlier.

This trip, I talked with a woman who took photography classes with me in college 20 years ago (we were both non-traditional students, obviously). She's a lady in her late 70s or early 80s, who didn't look well today. When I asked how she's doing, she said she is suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and it's a real chore for her to shop without exhausting herself. She also said her husband has suffered a stroke recently and is pretty much housebound. He is an avid golfer, but can no longer get out to do that, which is frustrating him. She said that he remarked, "If there is anything good about growing old, I wish someone would tell me what it is!" I'm afraid all of us who are experiencing physical ailments that are beginning to limit our activities feel the same way. But I figure all I can do is struggle forward and make the most of what I'm still able to do. Fortunately, right now I feel great and have few limitations.

Also at the WDCS, I talked with another woman who is a Master Gardener with Hubbie. This woman's husband has been in the hospital for eight or nine days, while doctors decide whether to do surgery for his diverticulitis. The woman herself needs knee surgery, but can't think about that until her husband is treated. Both of these folks are in their 70s.

After all the not-so-good news everywhere I went today, I was glad to get back to the comfort and cheer of my home around 3:30 p.m.

Supper tonight was spaghetti, salad, and green beans, always a comfort meal.

Movie: Saturday night we watched another British film called, "On a Clear Day," (2005) rated PG13. In this film, a 55-year-old man, who has a strained relationship with his son, is laid off of his job and becomes aimless until, haunted by something that happened in his past, he decides to swim the English Channel. His friends, and finally his family, rally to help him achieve his goal.

0 comments: