Wednesday, August 27, 2008

On Our Honor

Today was water aerobics day. There were lots of folks at the pool this morning. Usually, there are only three or four of us in the deep end during the 30 minutes before aerobics start, but today eight of us dodged each other as we swam.

We learned today that the pool will be closed for Labor Day next Monday. And on Wednesday, I'll be accompanying Mother to outpatient services at the hospital, where she's scheduled to have a colonoscopy. So Friday will be the only day I can swim next week. However, I'll still go to Cardiac Rehab on Tuesday and Thursday, which should provide plenty of exercise for the week.

After I got home from the pool, Hubbie and I began making plans for a trip to Branson in late October. Sis plans to make the trip with us this time, so we began scouting for extra show tickets for her and Mother. I have tickets to four shows that I've gotten at a silent auction and free in a door prize drawing.

A friend told us that we might be able to pick up the extra tickets that we need at a local radio station. So this afternoon, we called the station, and as luck would have it, they had tickets to three of the shows...two tickets per package, at a cost of less than one ticket at regular price.

Tickets to the other two shows will cost regular price, but I have two free tickets to one of those shows. So we will see five shows at a considerable savings. After lunch, we hightailed it to the radio station to pick up the tickets.

Since we were out, we drove to a close-by town to see if our favorite farmer still had peaches. He didn't. In fact, he wasn't even available at his roadside stand. But there were several large boxes of watermelons at the stand, with prices attached. A sign stapled to a tree advised folks to select what they wanted and leave money for their purchases in a coffee can on a table.

As we were choosing a watermelon, a gentleman arrived, picked the one he wanted, made change from the can, and paid for his purchase. Hubbie only had a $20 bill. The gentleman said the can still had enough small bills to make change, but then there'd be none for other customers. So I searched my purse for the correct amount, which luckily I had. When I paid, I noticed there was a generous wad of bills in the can in denominations ranging from twenties to ones. Only in a small town can a farmer do business this way and not be robbed blind of both money and melons.

0 comments: