Friday, September 5, 2008

Nothing Important Today

The antibiotic prescribed for me yesterday has made me very drowsy. I took the first dose after supper last night, and snoozed through TV the rest of the evening. And then I drifted right off after I went to bed, sleeping until about 8:30 this morning.

I didn't go to water aerobics, naturally, but I did do a session on the treadmill, albeit at a reduced walking pace. By the time I got ready for the day, the medication I took after breakfast hit me, and I could hardly hold my eyes open.

After lunch, I roused enough to call Branson to make reservations for shows we'll attend while we are there the last week in October. It took a while to make arrangements for four shows, particularly since one of the folks I talked with was new and had to get help from her supervisor and then start all over entering my reservations into her computer. What threw her was that I have two complementary tickets and wanted to buy two to go with them.

Just as I hung up from the Branson call, Daughter-in-Law called, frustrated that information she'd received in the mail from Son's doctor regarding lowering his triglycerides was so vague. Since her computer is down, she asked that I do some research on the Internet. So I shook the fog out of my head and set to work. I found lots of information, including recipes that I thought might be useful. I'll package the info tomorrow and send it to Daughter-in-Law.

Since I spent all afternoon at this task, I accomplished nothing else. While I did this, Mother continued working on her jigsaw puzzle, which is now complete. Hubbie engaged in various activities related to sprucing both the yard and the camper.

After a supper of tuna and egg salad sandwiches, served with macaroni and cheese, we settled in to watch TV, which I dozed through after taking another dose of antibiotic.

Tuna salad: add chopped boiled egg whites, diced apple, diced onion, chopped walnuts, Craisins, a sprinkle of dried dill weed, and toss with a small amount of light salad dressing.

Egg Salad: chopped boiled egg whites, no salt seasoning, paprika, pepper, tossed with a small amount of light salad dressing.

Macaroni and cheese: instead of flour and butter thickened cream sauce, we used a mixture of skim milk and low sodium chicken broth, and thickened this with a slurry of flour mixed with water (1 tablespoon of flour whisked with 2 tablespoons of water for each cup of liquid in the sauce). Puree' some low fat cottage cheese and stir it in with other cheeses to add extra creaminess. We used baby Swiss cheese, but Monterey Jack would be fine, as would any other preferred cheese.

0 comments: