Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday

The pool was reasonably warm this morning, but I got chilled by the end of the session...probably an effect of the flu shot yesterday. It took me a while to thaw out under a hot shower, and then I felt drowsy.



We were told this morning to hold off on going to water aerobics 30 minutes earlier next week, because there was a decline in the number of lap swimmers this week, with only one of them showing up today. I'm hoping that we'll ultimately keep to our current time, because I don't want to have to get up a half hour earlier in the winter months. Judging by the conversation in the dressing room this morning, several others agree with me.



The rest of the morning after I got home from water aerobics was uneventful. I didn't have my day planned very well, so when Mother came over after lunch, we decided to sit down to a movie I'd recorded on the DVR...William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet." This modernized version of the play (aimed at a teenage audience) was filmed in 1996, and stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes.

We almost gave up on the movie after a few minutes of the raucous opening scenes, when Montague and Capulet "gang members" warred in the streets of "Verona Beach" California. We stuck with it, though, and enjoyed most of it, even if it took liberties with the traditional play, not only with costumes and settings (the name of one store was "The Merchant of Venice"), but also with some of the speeches. The Shakesperean language was left mainly intact, however, and the death scene was still a tear-jerker (even though Juliet commits suicide with a gun). We still prefer the traditional version of the play.

This evening, we debated our options of going to a lecture at the college by a survivor of the bombing of Hiroshima and her second-generation survivor translator, going to a $2 movie at the historic theater downtown, or attending a performance by the local theater group of the play, "Jekyll and Hyde." But since I still felt blah after supper, we decided to just relax at home and watch a couple of new one-hour shows on TV, to see if we'll want to continue with those series.

0 comments: