Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sleepless Night

For some reason, I simply could not go to sleep last night. I finally drifted off around 5:30 this morning, but it was a short stretch to 8 a.m., when I got up to join Hubbie at breakfast before he left to help the Master Gardeners in a project scheduled for 9 a.m.



Before he left, he went outdoors to feed the kittens, and discovered that our neighbors that live behind us were having a yard sale. He went over to see if there was anything that might interest us and said that there were a lot of children's clothes and toys for sale.



Mother and I decided to go take a look for ourselves. We weren't interested in the kid's clothes, since we don't know any of the great-grandkid's sizes, and there were no appropriate toys. But I did find a cute chambray shirt that ties at the waist, in my size, so I bought that. Mother found a wool black and red plaid poncho, and a couple of picture frames.



We spent the rest of the morning organizing for the trip next week. After a catch-as-catch-can lunch, Hubbie groomed Shih Tzu and bathed her, and Mother and I continued gathering things for the camper.

After supper, Hubbie and I turned on the radio to listen as our favorite college team played. Hubbie did most of the listening, since I kept nodding off...not because I was bored, but because I was making up for a sleepless night. Unfortunately, every time our team made a touchdown, I was off to La-La Land. I did manage to stay awake for the last few exciting minutes of play, when it seemed our team might have a chance of winning. Unfortunately, though, they lost by two points in the last seconds of the game.

A couple of nights ago, Hubbie and I watched a movie titled, "The Affair of the Necklace," starring Hilary Swank, among others. The movie, rated "R" for violence, brief nudity, and adult
content, is about an 18th century Frenchwoman, orphaned as a young girl, who sets out to restore her family's good name. She manages to very nearly successfully pull off a scam that culminates in the French Revolution, and the eventual beheading of Marie Antoinette.

Mother decided she wants to see the movie, even with it's "R" rating, so I taped it for her. In discussing the bawdiness of the royal court, and particularly the extravagance of Marie Antoinette during that era, I mentioned that the French people were outraged with the Queen's mindless spending on her wardrobe and jewelry. "Sort of reminds me of the criticism Sarah Palin is taking for her expensive clothing. Fortunately, though, folks don't want to guillotine her," I said. "No," Mother quipped, "all they want to do is run her through the wringer."

0 comments: