Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday, Jan. 4

I headed for the treadmill before breakfast on this chilly and windy 40-degree Sunday morning. Usually, I skip my exercises on Sunday, but since we are planning a trip to the capital city on Wednesday, and I won't have time to exercise that day, I decided to get a session in today.


Today feels more like January than yesterday, when the temp rose to over 70 degrees. I much prefer balmy days. Even though we keep the thermostat at a constant moderate temperature, it feels chillier in the house on colder days than on warmer ones. Hubbie says this is my imagination, but I don't think so.


Mother came over while I was getting ready for the day and cut round steak into strips for beef with sauteed onions and peppers for lunch. I made a new no-salt corn casserole to go with the beef and baked potatoes.

The casserole, which was on the back of a can of corn uses one can of cream style corn combined with two tablespoons of flour; add 11 ounces of whole kernel corn, one-and-a-half cups broccoli florets, one-quarter cup chopped green onions, one-half cup egg substitute (or two egg whites, slightly beaten), one-quarter teaspoon pepper; mix all this together and pour into a pie plate or quiche dish, then top with one-quarter cup crushed shredded wheat, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Also this morning, I gathered and washed fall and Christmas holiday sweaters and laid them out to dry, so they can be stored away until next season. I store my holiday wear in empty suitcases, on the top shelf of a closet, so they don't take up space in my sweater drawers.

It seems to take forever to get things back in order after the holidays. Yesterday, Hubbie and I rearranged things in the storeroom to make space for wreaths and other seasonal decorations. In so doing, we discovered a large sack of Christmas gift bags. I'd searched for them all through the season without turning them up. I knew I'd bought gift bags very inexpensively after the holiday season last year, but had no idea what had happened to them. Turns out they were stowed behind some other stuff way up on a top shelf of one of the storage units, in a place I couldn't reach without Hubbie's assistance. I suspect, he's the one who stowed them there, and then forgot he had done so.

I finally bought a few new bags this season to finish up gifts, and then stocked up again after Christmas. So now I have enough gift bags to last at least a couple of years...if we remember next Christmas where we stored them!

Mother went home after lunch, and Hubbie and I relaxed with the Sunday newspaper. Then I attempted, without success, to order photos of Grandson as most popular boy in the sixth grade to use in scrapbooking. I'll need to contact the photographer tomorrow to find out what the problem is.

Later, Hubbie and I had cold roast pork loin sandwiches and salad for supper, and then spent the evening watching TV.

0 comments: