Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tuesday, October 6

We got up a little later on this rainy day. I did a treadmill session and weights exercises, while Hubbie ran a few errands. Just as I was preparing to shower and get ready for the day, the sky darkened and it began thundering, so I hurried through my morning rituals.

Downstairs, I cut out the elements for making a screen door birthday greeting card for Hubbie's sister. Mother came over and glued the elements together while I did some other tasks, like answering e-mails.

Mother joined us for a PB&J sandwich lunch, and then she went home to continue digging out her winter clothes. Hubbie watched an old movie western on DVD this afternoon..."Abilene," a 1946 black and white film starring Randolph Scott and Lloyd Bridges.

While he was doing that, I went to meet my interview appointment with the gentleman who will celebrate his 100th birthday this month. I spent about an hour with him and his wife. He has been married to this wife (30 years his junior) for seven years. She is his third wife. He was married to his first wife for nearly 55 years before she died, and then to his second wife for 15 years before she died. He was a dedicated caretaker to both women.

I hope to get his story written in the next couple of days, because we need to get ready for our trip to Branson pretty soon, and I don't want the story on my mind while we're gone.

I also took several snapshots of the gentleman and e-mailed them to the Caring Hands Hospice coordinator. She wanted them as soon as possible so she can make a poster for his upcoming birthday party. I don't know if the newspaper will use the photos with the story or not. I'd think photos of him at his birthday party would be more interesting.

As I was leaving the interview, the gentleman's wife handed me a small bag of tomatoes from her garden. Our tomatoes are gone, so I appreciated this gesture.

I got back home around 3:30, but didn't accomplish much after that other than e-mailing the photos to Caring Hands, and reading the daily local newspaper.

Supper tonight was leftover lasagna, green beans, salad, and cottage cheese. Spent the evening afterwards, as usual, watching TV, including another episode of "Dancing With the Stars."

0 comments: