Monday, December 14, 2009

Monday, December 14

We were up by 7:30 a.m. again this morning, and after breakfast, I did a treadmill and weights exercises session. After getting ready for the day, I baked a rum cake for Hubbie. He'll enjoy the cake by himself through the season, but because it's made with a yellow cake mix and instant vanilla pudding, both of which contain yellow dye, I can't eat it. Mother doesn't care for rum, so she won't eat it, either.

While I was making the cake, Hubbie ran a couple of errands...to the bank, and to the post office to mail a stack of Christmas cards for me.

Mother came over around lunch time and had turkey wrap sandwiches with us. After lunch, Hubbie and I ran errands...to the Revenue Office so that I could renew my driver's license (egad, what a photo); to the greeting card shop to take advantage of a 20% off coupon (my birthday gift from the store); to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for Mother; to the cable TV office; and to the WDCS.

At the greeting card shop, Hubbie chose a birthday card for me, and we each selected anniversary cards. My birthday and our anniversary are in January. Since we had purchased three cards, I was also able to get the newest edition in the Hallmark Christmas storybook series for $2.95. I now have a collection of five of these cute books.

Funny: a clerk we know at the card shop asked how long we've been married. As I opened my mouth to respond, Hubbie jumped in with, "We're coming up on our 27th anniversary."

I didn't contradict him, but in the car I asked him what 1981 subtracted from 2010 is. "Twenty-nine," he said. "Well," I said, "then by that calculation, we will be married 29 years next month, not 27."

"It doesn't seem that long," he said, looking at me and grinning. "Though it obviously seems longer to you."

Back home, Mother and I watched a couple of Christmas shows that I'd recorded on DVR. For supper, we had meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, and the remaining yeast rolls we'd brought home from the Master Gardener Christmas potluck.

Later, Hubbie and I watched a movie..."Santa Baby 2: Christmas Maybe," rated PG. This family movie presumes that Santa has a daughter named Mary, who moves to the big city to pursue a career. Santa puts an ambitious someone else in the job of managing the elves, while he relaxes and enjoys recreational activities. Things go awry, and Mary has to return to the North Pole to straighten things out.

After that, we watched a new animated Christmas feature, "The Flight Before Christmas." A young reindeer leaves home to find his father, whom he has never met, but believes to be one of Santa's "Special Forces" reindeer. Wolves pursue.

0 comments: