Saturday, December 19, 2009

Saturday, December 19

I woke up really late this morning, around 8:30, so I skipped my exercises in order to get ready after breakfast to go to the funeral of our friend's husband.

There were several glitches at the service, not the least of which was that the cell phone of the water aerobics leader rang during a prayer. She was sitting right next to me. Also, the program announced our friend's husband's birth year as 2009. Then after the opening prayer, there was a very long, silent pause, as folks fidgeted uncomfortably. Finally, someone stepped into the room (the service was held at the funeral home) and announced that staff couldn't get the music CD to work, and the minister should just go on with the service. And then later, we learned that the plan to allow folks to offer testimonials during the service was inadvertently overlooked, and instead, promptly at the conclusion of the minister's sermon, ushers urged attendees to immediately begin filing up front to offer condolences to the family.

After the service, we came home for lunch. Mother had baked three sweet potatoes and heated three biscuits for us. We topped the biscuits with pumpkin butter. The jar of pumpkin butter, along with a jar of peach butter, were Mother's seventh day of Christmas gift. I got the butters at the Amish shop, when we were in Branson in October.

Around 1 p.m., we went to our friend's house for a while. I took a small bag of homemade cookies for the children of the family, since I was told that others were providing ample food for the reception. We had not planned to go to the reception, but our friend seemed to really want us there, so we accepted her invitation.

We only stayed for a short time, long enough to visit with our friend and join her in having dessert. I really didn't need to indulge in sweets, but to be polite, I took a small slice of fresh apple cake that I knew had been baked by another water aerobics friend. It was delicious.

Mother stayed at our house today and worked on her jigsaw puzzle. After we got home from the reception, Hubbie bathed Shih Tzu, and then we both worked to spruce the house, because his daughter and family are coming for a visit in the morning.

Later, we had hamburgers/turkey burgers, with sauteed potatoes for supper, which we ate in the den so Hubbie and I could watch our favorite college basketball team win a nail-biter game that I'd recorded on DVR.

Mother spent some time after supper continuing to work on the jigsaw puzzle, and then went home around 6 p.m. Hubbie and I watched TV for the rest of the evening, including a movie called "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3." This 2009 R-rated (for strong language and violence) film stars Denzel Washington and John Travolta. It's about a man (Travolta) who hijacks a subway train and holds the passengers hostage while demanding ten million dollars from the city. This is a pay-per-view movie that I downloaded to our DVR as a complimentary gift from our cable company, because when they changed out our DVR recently, we naturally lost all the movies and programs I'd recorded on the old unit.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

I just watched that same movie a few days ago! It's really a good one, I thought.

Sixty Something said...

Yes, I thought it was a pretty good movie, too, despite the language. I recorded it on video tape for Mother, but she hasn't had a chance to watched it, yet.