Sunday, January 17, 2010

Best Birthday Surprise

Got up at 7 a.m., but skipped my exercises so I could get last-minute stuff done before family arrived. Daughter was the first to arrive, and we were delighted that she brought Great-Granddaughter with her.

Older Son and Daughter-in-Law arrived next, and soon after, Younger Son and Daughter-in-Law, along with Grandson and his friend.

We had time to visit before lunch was served at noon. Lunch was lasagna, salad, cottage cheese, and garlic bread. Later in the afternoon, we enjoyed chocolate cupcakes topped with a choice of chocolate icing, or pie cherries, and whipped topping, and vanilla ice cream. There was also fruited strawberry Jell-o for those who preferred it.

Afterward, my kids and their spouses presented me with a very special gift...studio portraits of my sons and daughter...one beautiful color collage and one really charming black and white. I was stunned and couldn't look at them enough. I was so silent when they presented them that they thought I didn't like the portraits, when in fact, I was so touched I didn't know what to say.

I'm amazed that the three of them, whose schedules are so hectic, were able to pull off getting together for portraits. Even though the original idea came from my daughter, it was an effort that took the organizational skills of my two daughters-in-law, as well.

Not only did they have to coordinate a studio date, but they also had to coordinate a date when they could all be at my house for the presentation. It was an act of amazing thoughtfulness and love, and I love them all for it. What a perfect gift!

The portraits are not framed, but I was presented with a gift card so I can choose frames for them. It's going to be fun selecting mats and frames. And I already have the spot chosen to hang them...above the bed in the spare bedroom, where my treadmill is, so I can see them every time I exercise in there.

They will be on the wall opposite the one where portraits of them, painted by Sis when she was a teenager, hang. From my treadmill, I can see both sets of portraits.

Sons and families left around 3:30, and Daughter stayed for a while longer. Around 4:30, Great-Granddaughter had a half of a deli turkey and cheese sandwich, with pretzels, and Daughter had crackers and Italian cream cheese ball. After that, they headed home.

Mother went to her house, too, and Hubbie and I searched for something to watch on TV, and ended up watching a movie we'd seen before, and a one-hour show, and then hit the sack, because I need to get up early in the morning for the first day back to water aerobics after winter break.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

I had talked to your daughter-in-law and she told me about the portrait surprise for you. I knew it would be the very best gift they could give you, the very best Mom/Sis in the world!!

Sixty Something said...

Thanks, Sis. I heard that you went to hear Son play with his blues band. I haven't seen him play with that group, yet, but I know he's very good with his rock band. The portraits are beautiful. Can't wait for you to see them. I'm searching for just the right frames for them now.