Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday, January 21

After a stormy night, with thunder and lightening that knocked out cable TV, I got up around 8 a.m. and did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast. While I was doing that, Hubbie ran errands...to a grocery store to get cottage cheese, to the pharmacy, the bank, and the WDCS.



I did this and that until lunch, including trying to figure out (without success) why my laptop froze up. For some reason, it threw some icons onto the task bar and then quit responding. Later this afternoon I called my tech guy, but of course he wasn't at the store, so I waited for a call from him.



Otherwise this morning, I talked with one of the scrapbook club members...the one who has fallen twice and has eight stitches in her leg and two black eyes...and she said she would not be attending the meeting this afternoon. She also told me that another member (her sister-in-law) is in the hospital. It seems she had a virus that caused her to dehydrate after several days of diarrhea and vomiting. Last Monday, she fell down in her bathroom and was so weak she couldn't stand back up. A friend came to see about her, and she had to crawl to the door to let her in. The friend called an ambulance, and the lady has been in the hospital since then.



So only three of us met at the Extension Services office, but we three had a good time. The lady who showed up, a 68-year-old widow, is sporting a new, very flattering hairdo, has lost some weight, and was wearing a bright blue outfit. She looked radiant and very bubbly today. Mother and I wonder if she's seeing someone.



Mother and I made two greeting cards today, which occupied the whole two hours of the meeting from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. It was sunny and mild when we got to the meeting, but had clouded over and was cooler by the time we left.

Around 4:30, the tech guy called. He'll be out of town tomorrow, but said I could take the laptop to him and he would fix it Monday. In the meantime, though, I was able to shut the computer down and re-boot, whereupon it corrected itself and is working fine, now. Yay!



Hubbie did the honors of making supper for us tonight...grilled steaks and baked potatoes, with salad and steamed veggies. This is an early anniversary celebration dinner. Our anniversary is actually Sunday, but since I have an appointment with my cardiologist on Monday that will include certain tests, we decided to have the meal tonight.



Later, we watched our favorite college basketball team play to a loss after a nail-biter game. It was a late game that didn't start until 8 p.m. I let the DVR record it for an hour before we began watching it, so I could fast forward through the commercials.

Sad: earlier this week, a man we knew and who I worked with briefly in the advertising department of our local newspaper died of a massive heart attack. He was 73 years old. His son and I were in the same photography and journalism classes at college, and we graduated in the same year (I was an older, non-traditional student). The son is now the publisher of a newspaper in the town where I used to live.

0 comments: