Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King Day

We were up by 6:30 this morning, so I could get ready to go to water aerobics. It wasn't terribly cold this morning, but there was a little frost on the windshield of the van, anyway, and a thick fog made for low visibility on the road until I got to the hill going up to the college. Here, the fog cleared, but I could still see it laying like a blanket over the valley below.

Eighteen of us showed up for the session this morning, and we were all happy to see each other and exchange stories about our holiday. Naturally, my story was to brag on the portraits of my three kids that were presented to me yesterday. Of course, everyone agreed that they are a very meaningful and priceless gift. A couple of the ladies told about getting similar gifts, and how precious the portraits are to them.

I'm very proud of my kids, who have grown into hard workers, and loving parents and grandparents, dedicated to their families. And my sons both married women who are also dear to my heart.

The lady who got my food basket exchange gift at the dirty Santa game during the water aerobics Christmas luncheon commented about how much she and her husband enjoyed the yeast bread and cherry jelly. She said she bought some of the frozen loaves so she could bake more during the holidays. She also mentioned that the gift was so popular at the exchange that next Christmas she will probably make a food basket gift, too. I'll no doubt do the same. We older ladies appreciate homemade food gifts more than highly scented lotions and candles, or knick-knack dust collectors.

The water at the pool was pleasantly warm, which I hope will continue. By the time the session was over, it had warmed up somewhat outside, and the sun was shining. Back home, while I was getting ready for the day, Hubbie went to get a haircut. He had hung the American flag on the well house in honor of Martin Luther King Day while I was at water aerobics.

After lunch, Hubbie and I went to the WDCS for a few groceries, and to look at frames for the portraits of my kids. I didn't select anything today.

Mother came over after we got back, but we didn't do anything constructive. I called one of the scrapbook club members, reminding her of our meeting Thursday. It seems she fell on December 4, while picking up the evening newspaper out of the ditch in front of her house and hit a metal sign on her mailbox, slashing her leg. It required eight stitches. And then on January 8, she fell again, this time hitting her head on a glass door, resulting in two black eyes. So naturally, she's not sure she'll feel like attending the scrapbook club meeting.

Later, we had a supper of leftover lasagna, with green beans, cottage cheese, and garlic bread. Mother went home after that, and Hubbie and I watched TV...including the movie, "Sunshine," a 1999, R-rated (for brief nudity, some language, and sexual content) film. It stars Ralph Fiennes, and Rosemary Harris. The movie epic follows three generations of a Jewish-Hungarian family over the years from the late 1890s through the 1950s. Fiennes plays three roles in this three-hour movie. The film contains some disturbing war-time footage, including the bodies of dead babies. Nevertheless, it is an absorbing movie that deals not only with harsh historic events, but with complex marital, extra-marital, and other family relationships.


Tomorrow, we plan to travel two and a half hours east to shop in the town where Hubbie's daughter lives. Mother will go and stay at Daughter's house while we shop. It should be a gorgeous day for shopping, since it's predicted to be sunny with temps in the 60s.

0 comments: