Monday, February 8, 2010

Monday, Feb. 8

Wow! We awoke at 7 a.m. to another snowfall. It was coming down in big, wet flakes, and covering the ground quickly. I decided to skip my exercises after breakfast and go outside to snap more photos, instead. Glad I did, because while the snow was pretty first thing this morning, it began getting soggy before noon. It continued to snow, but it seemed to just puddle in the yard.

Before I went outdoors, though, I called my dental surgeon's office in the Capital City to reschedule tomorrow afternoon's appointment, since I was pretty sure weather conditions wouldn't be conducive to travel. I got a new appointment for Feb. 25.

One of the first things I noticed when I went outdoors was that our neighbor was building a tall snowman again...even taller than the one he built last week. I'll go out tomorrow morning and take a picture of the finished product.

I spent 30 minutes or so trudging around the yard, before my fingers started freezing up. On Saturday, when I took Mother to the WDCS, I found a pair of fingerless gloves for about $3, which I thought would be great for taking pictures on cold days. And they were, because they freed my fingers to operate the camera functions, but it doesn't take long for my hands to get really cold in snowy or icy weather.

So I came in and uploaded the snapshots, thawed out a little, and then went back outdoors for more shots. The way I dress to go outdoors, I look like Nanook of the North, or that little whiney kid in "A Christmas Story," with coat, gloves, hat, and a long scarf that I wind around my face. Hubbie laughs at me every time he sees me this way.

It snowed pretty much most of the day, though I didn't measure it to see how deep it got. It isn't as deep as it was last week, though, because it is so wet. Last week's snow was fluffy, while this one is a bit sloppy.

But it is predicted to continue snowing throughout the night, and the temperature will drop, so the snow will probably accumulate by morning. Then as the temp rises, the snow should melt. Don't know if conditions will be good enough for water aerobics to resume on Wednesday, though.

Hubbie helped Mother come over about mid-morning. She finished the craft she was working on, and worked puzzle books, while Hubbie watched TV.

After a lunch of leftovers, I shot pictures of birds and squirrels from the sun room window (see previous blog).

Mother added tomatoes, juice, and beans to the leftover chili to make chili-mac for supper. She used whole wheat rotini for the pasta. We had this with cole slaw and cottage cheese.

While the rotini was cooking, we all scoured the house for my eyeglasses. I simply could not remember where I'd put them. By suppertime, we still had not found them. After supper, though, Hubbie went out to the sun room to close one of the blinds (that I'd raised to shoot pictures of the birds) and found them laying on the hot tub.

This is only one of four pairs I use. They are my old bifocals, that I wear for reading and close work around the house. I carry the newest pair in my purse. Then I have two cheap pairs (bought at discount stores) that I wear when working at my office and laptop computers.

Keeping up with all these pairs of glasses is an adventure. The other day, I comically started to put on a pair of computer glasses before I discovered that I was already wearing my oldest bifocals. Maybe that's the best way to keep up with them...wear them all at once.

A couple of days ago, I misplaced the eyeglasses I use at my office computer. So I went in search of them, locating them on the bedroom nightstand. But instead of picking up my glasses, I grabbed the TV remote control and walked back to my computer. "What am I doing with this?" I wondered aloud, as I marched back to the bedroom.

I walked Mother home after supper, and then Hubbie and I watched TV, starting with the movie, "The Last Outlaw," starring Mickey Rourke. It's a 1993 R-rated (for language and violence) film about a gritty band of outlaws. The band's leader decides to put a badly wounded member out of his misery, but his second in command has other ideas. He shoots the leader and takes over the band. The leader, thought to be dead, is not, and he allies himself with the law to hunt down and kill his gang members one by one. Guy movie, but the scenery is nice.

The second movie we watched was, "Liberty Stands Still," starring Wesley Snipes, Linda Fionrentino, and Oliver Platt. It's a 2002 R-rated film in which Snipes' character is out for revenge for the murder of his daughter. Deciding that a gun manufacturer must be held accountable, because his daughter was killed by one of the manufacturer's guns, the sniper forces the wife of the CEO to chain herself to a hot dog cart that contains a bomb. The sniper's demand is to hold a debate of the Second Amendment...the right to keep and bear arms. Shades of the movie, "Phone Booth."

0 comments: