Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Wednesday, May 5

Happy Cinco De Mayo, a celebration of Mexican-American culture.

I'm definitely on the mend today...was even energetic enough to take Mother shopping...to the greeting card shop, and to the WDCS.

When we got back home around lunchtime, I received a nice surprise in the mail. The Caring Hands Hospice coordinator had sent me a card with a $10 certificate enclosed from a local barbecue restaurant. Seems I won it in a drawing. The drawing was one of two that were part of the packet of discount and free-gift coupons that the coordinator had sent to volunteers a couple of weeks ago. Coupons were included in the packet that said our names had been added to the drawings.

I'm glad to get the certificate. It'll come in handy next week for buying a meal when we don't feel up to cooking.

Except for ironing a few clothes, I still didn't accomplish a lot today. Apparently, it takes a long time to completely recover from that particularly nasty bug. I'd wonder why it has lingered with me, if I hadn't heard from other family members of their slow recovery.

Supper tonight was steamed veggies and leftover macaroni and cheese. Mother went home afterward, and Hubbie and I watched TV.

Tonight's fare was, "Nicholas Nickleby," a PG movie based, of course, on the Charles Dickens book. Nicholas's father dies, leaving the family destitute. He, his mother, and sister appeal to a wealthy uncle for help. The uncle places him as a teacher in a school for boys, run by a cruel man and his wife. He runs into problems and is forced, along with a loyal friend, to escape. The two embark on an adventurous journey at the end of which Nicholas finds he must save his family from his greedy uncle.

0 comments: