Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tuesday, Nov. 16

Slept til around 7:30 this morning, then did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast.

Once I was ready for the day, I spent time at my office computer corresponding with a science teacher from my grandson's school, who was interested in my doing a photography residency there. I sent her information on applying for a matching grant from our state's arts council. Once she read the info, though, she determined that the school wouldn't fund the match for her sixth grade class. But she thought that the fifth grade science teacher might be interested, since she teaches a unit on light, and photography fits with that unit. So I sent the info to that teacher.

I also corresponded by email with the Literacy Council director, who said I should stop by her office at 1 p.m. to exchange the unit one teaching books I was given Sunday afternoon for a unit four book, which I'll need in tutoring the Hispanic lady next week.

I also gathered materials for making a quilled greeting card for a friend who lives in our town. This friend discovered that I'd sent a quilled birthday card to our mutual friend who lives in a town about an hour and a half away, and she felt left out. This is a fall card, and it suited the October birthday of our mutual friend. But the friend's birthday who lives in our town was in August, and I didn't have the fall quilled card pattern at that time. So now, I'm sending one to her one as a Thanksgiving greeting.

The same thing happened last year. We learned how to make screen door greeting cards around the time of the mutual friend's birthday, so I sent her one. I intended to send one to our other friend on her next birthday, but she said "I might not live that long." Okay, I'd send her one for Thanksgiving, I said. "I might not live that long either," she said. So I made one right away and sent it to her. This lady is in her late 70s, and has suffered two rounds of breast cancer. But she is doing extremely well, and is nowhere near death's door. She just doesn't want to feel left out.

After lunch, Hubbie and I went to the Literacy Council office to pick up the necessary tutor book, and then we went in search of another church, where I am to meet my student next Monday and Tuesday nights. I wanted to locate it in the daylight, instead of wasting time hunting for it during the evening.

We ran a couple of more errands, and then returned home.

Shih Tzu has been having tummy problems today, so Hubbie went to a grocery store to pick up Pepto Bismol, and to the vet to get an antibiotic.

Mother had come over mid-morning, and while we were gone this afternoon, she peeled and sliced enough apples to make two quarts for the freezer. I helped her package the apples when I got back, and then made a small apple crumble dessert for supper from the remaining apples.

After that, I spent quite a bit of time making the quilled card. When I was finished, Hubbie asked me to help him order an 18-quart slow cooker online, which I did. Hopefully, the cooker will arrive in a couple of days.

For supper, we had canned white beans, rinsed and cooked with onions, banana peppers, and spices, potato patties made from leftover mashed potatoes, and fried green tomatoes. Mother went home afterward, and Hubbie and I watched TV. I also did a little online Christmas shopping.

0 comments: