Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wednesday, Feb. 9

It was only snowing lightly when I woke up, but within an hour, it started coming down heavily, and soon we had several inches on the ground. Since I knew predictions were that it would continue throughout much of the day, I was in no hurry to get out and take pictures.

So after breakfast, I did a treadmill session and weights exercises. Once I was ready for the day, I checked my camera to delete old photos and format it for new photos, and discovered that the battery was dead. I put the battery on the charger, and then contacted Mother to make sure she was okay. She agreed that this was no day for her to try to come to our house.

Around 11:30, Hubbie and I gathered up the potato soup Mother made yesterday, plus the lasagna and some leftover steamed veggies, and headed to her house for lunch. She had made muffins to go with the soup. It was a warming meal.

On the way to her house, we saw that a truck was nose down in the ditch across the road. So after lunch, I grabbed my camera and went out to snap pictures of the mishap, as well as other things around the house.

I was only outdoors long enough to trek around the house before I got chilled enough to head back to Mother's house. From her front window, I snapped lots of shots of the birds at her feeder.

I was gone long enough to concern Hubbie, who called Mother to check on me. He was relieved to learn I was safe and warm and not still out trudging around in the snow.

Back home, I uploaded some of my photos to my social network page, and then just relaxed the rest of the afternoon.

Got an e-mail message this afternoon from the arts council director cancelling our meeting for tonight. What a surprise. I wondered yesterday when she called why she scheduled it for tonight. Did she not hear about the predicted snow? Anyway, she re-scheduled it for 5 p.m. next Wednesday.

Not surprisingly, neither the mail nor the local newspaper were delivered today. I'm glad those folks didn't try to get out in this mess. The local paper offered its online edition free today, though, so we didn't miss out on any important stories, the most important of which, of course, was the weather. The Office of Emergency Management said that their office was flooded with calls about cars off the roads, stalled on hills, and in ditches everywhere. There are even 18-wheelers stranded on various highways, including at an intersection a mile or so down the road from our house.

Around 5 p.m., we returned to Mother's house for a supper of lasagna and steamed veggies. As we were leaving the house, the black cat once again shot out the door, darted to the end of the porch, saw the snow, wondered what the heck he was doing out there, and flew at breakneck speed right back into the house.

Back home after supper, we occupied our evening as usual, watching TV, including our favorite college basketball team as they played to another very disappointing loss.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

There was mail in my mailbox and tire tracks in the snow in front of it, so it was delivered on Wednesday. Our mail carrier drives a 4 wheel drive, though.

Sixty Something said...

Not sure what our mail carrier drives.