Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday, Feb. 6

Up around 8 a.m. this morning, and did a treadmill session and resistance exercises after breakfast. Once I was ready for the day, I did the usual Sunday things of programming the DVR for the week, and reading the Sunday paper.

Mother came over and fixed barbecued pork chops, baked sweet potatoes, coleslaw, and applesauce for lunch. While the meal cooked, she worked on her jigsaw puzzle.

After lunch, she went home, and Hubbie and I watched James Michener's sprawling saga, "Texas," from the Encore western channel. This 1994 drama stars Benjamin Bratt, Patrick Duffy, and Stacy Keach. At the beginning of the 19th century, Texas is a province of Mexico, but Anglosaxons move in, and soon these settlers and the Mexican government clash. War leads to Texas independence, with Sam Houston as president of the Republic of Texas. Later, the Republic of Texas is annexed to the United States, and becomes a state.

Afterward, following state and national news, we watched Super Bowl XLV. We're not die hard fans of professional football, so we don't have a favorite team...we watch Super Bowls mainly for the commercials and halftime shows...and it was a wow of a halftime show!

Aggravation: seems our land line is kaput. This afternoon, a caller ID message showed up on the TV, but the land line in the den didn't ring. However, I could hear the phones upstairs ringing, so I picked up the one downstairs...nothing. I called my friend back. She picked up, and I could hear her, but she couldn't hear me. I finally called her on my cell phone, and reached her, of course.

She wanted to tell me she'd been cleaning closets again and ran across a box of various sized envelopes. Did I want them? Yes...we can use them when we make greeting cards for Caring Hands.

After I'd talked to her, I tried the trouble shooting suggestion of unplugging the phone. Didn't help, so I guess we're in the market for another phone. In the meantime, Hubbie brought one of the upstairs phones downstairs.

0 comments: