Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thursday, March 17

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I was up around 7:30 this morning, and did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast.

Hubbie went to a Master Gardener's house at 9 a.m. to help dig tulip bulbs, which the members planted in pots to be sold Saturday at the Extension Office. The group worked until around 11:30.

Mother came over around that time, and after lunch, we went to the Extension Office conference room to attend a 1 p.m. scrapbook get-together. Only three of us showed up, but we had a good time and accomplished a lot. We each completed three or four pages for our scrapbooks.

We were back home by 3 p.m. Mother went to her house, and Hubbie worked in the yard until about 4 p.m. In the meantime, I went downtown to the art gallery to deliver a punch bowl ladle and a couple of Celtic music CDs for an event tonight.

Took me a while to accomplish that task, because I ran into a traffic jam near the college down the road, where students were trying to exit the campus. There was a long line of cars all the way to the four-way stop, but each car allowed one car to merge from the campus to the road. So, thanks to southern hospitality, traffic moved smoothly, if slowly, to the stop light.

Downtown, all the parking spaces were occupied in the block where the art gallery is located, so I had to swing back around and park a block away. Thankfully, the weather has been beautiful and warm today, so I enjoyed the short walk.

Back home, Hubbie and I had a supper of leftover split pea soup, with biscuits and honey. Then we went to the art gallery, where an improvisational artist was performing. She did a couple of mime skits, and then enlisted those present to participate.

There were only eight of us in attendance (four teenagers and four adults), so we were all prevailed upon to perform. One game we played involved the first person pretending to do something...read a book, for instance...and the second person asks what she is doing. The first person responds with something rediculous, like "making pizza." The second person has to pretend to be making pizza, but respond with a rediculous answer about what she is doing, etc.

Another game was called "fortunately/unfortunately." A mother and daughter are shopping at a shoe store. The daughter says, "Fortunately, they have just the pair of shoes I want." The mother says, "Unfortunately, they cost too much." The conversation goes back and forth with one making a "fortunately" statement, and the other shooting it down with an "unfortunately" statement.

In one improv situation, Hubbie, who played a student in trouble with the principal, was asked to leave the room, while we decided why he was in trouble. It was because he clogged the toilet with paper towels and it has overflowed. Then Hubbie was brought back in and the "principal" tells him the bathroom is flooded and asks what he did. Hubbie has to guess what he did to cause the flood.

In my segment, I, with two of the teenagers, are at a bus stop, and it's cold. One of us sits (me), one stands, and one leans against the bench. Whenever one made a move, the other had to take her place. So if I got up, someone sat in my place, and I had to stand. The object of the game was to occupy the seat, which I did by reminding the teenagers that I was old, so that they had to get up to let me sit down.

We were back home around 8:30. I brought home a half dozen of the sugar cookies decorated with green icing from the refreshment table, and took three of them to Mother. I didn't eat any, because I'm sure the green icing contains yellow dye.

Earlier today, I decided to travel tomorrow to the town where my daughter lives, about two hours away, to shop at some of the clothing stores. I'm hoping to find some spring wear, as well as a dressy outfit for an upcoming event. Daughter will meet me for the shopping expedition and lunch.

I'm going on my own, because it's too warm to leave Shih Tzu in the car for very long, and Mother is no longer up to going shopping. So Hubbie will stay at home to be available for any of their needs.

0 comments: