Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wednesday, March 16

Up at 7:30, but it was after 9 a.m. before I did a treadmill session, because we had a power outage that lasted an hour. Later, an article in our local newspaper reported that the outage, which affected 29,000, was caused by a fault on the transmission at a substation. I used the power outage as an opportunity to clean the screen on our flat screen TV.

Mother came over while I was getting ready for the day and started a pot of split pea soup simmering. Then she worked on her jigsaw puzzle.

After lunch, Hubbie and I ran a few errands...to the newspaper office to drop off a word search puzzle for a $50 prize drawing. Last week was the first time for the drawing, and a friend of mine from water aerobics won. I don't know how many weeks the drawing will continue, but it's fun to complete the puzzles and try for the prize. This week's puzzle was all about St. Patrick's Day.

From there, we went to a store that has a sale every weekend. I was hoping to find three-quarter length or long-sleeved cotton shirts for spring and summer...something for which I could use a $10 coupon I received in the mail yesterday, but I didn't find anything. So we went on to a grocery store, to the WDCS, and then back home. Didn't do a lot except read magazines for the rest of the afternoon.

At 5 p.m., I went to a visual arts committee meeting at the gallery. The committee spent an hour planning the schedule of outdoor movies, which will occur every two weeks between Memorial Day and Labor Day, as well as beginning plans for the Summer Celebration, which is scheduled for summer solstice evening, June 21.

After I was back from the meeting, around 6:15, we had a supper of the split pea soup, with PB&J sandwiches. Mother went home afterward, and Hubbie and I watched TV.

Before we settled down to TV, though, we called our computer anti-virus business. They'd emailed a notice to me that my software was about to expire and gave me info for updating. When I tried to do that, I was alerted that the software was an older version than what was already on my computer. But I had to agree to the purchase price before attempting the download, so I knew our credit card would be billed.

Nowhere could I find a way to contact the company, either by email or phone, so Hubbie called the credit card company, and they gave us the number. I spent a lot of time after that getting the situation straightened out. The company rep discovered that my account showed a list of 30 or 40 purchases of software for exactly the same package I'd purchased last October.

We paid for only one, so neither we nor the company know why so many are listed, but the rep cancelled all but one, and also contacted the credit card company to cancel the most recent charge. The call center must be located in India, because it was sometimes difficult to understand the rep, which was frustrating for both of us. I'm thinking that once my anti-virus expires, I'll be looking for another brand.

0 comments: