Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday, April 17

Up around 7:30 on this rather chilly morning that warmed beautifully by afternoon. Did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast. Then Hubbie put color in my hair in anticipation of a haircut appointment Tuesday.

Did the usual Sunday things for the rest of the morning after I got ready for the day. Mother came over mid-morning, and around 11 a.m., she boiled macaroni for mac and cheese, while Hubbie and I went to the WDCS to pick up a rotisserie chicken and white American cheese, along with a few other items.

The chicken, mac and cheese, leftover Lima beans, and sliced tomatoes, was very tasty. Afterward, we changed clothes to go to a local college to attend a community orchestra concert at 2 p.m.

It's a good thing Mother happened to read a notice of the event in today's newspaper, or we would have been late. When notice of the concert was first published several months ago in the college brochure, it was listed for 2:30 p.m. But today's paper showed it for 2 p.m.

We weren't sure which time was correct, but we went ahead to the college before 2 p.m. We weren't the only ones confused by conflicting times, because folks arrived well after 2 p.m., missing much of the program.

The first part of the concert featured the community musicians...a mix of folks from teen to senior citizens...followed by a group of junior and senior high school students performing on stringed instruments.

The community group did very well. We especially enjoyed a solo performance by a very talented flutist. A young man playing kettle drums was good, too. But even though we made allowances for their inexperience, it was painfully obvious that the string group just wasn't ready for prime time. Nothing assaults the ears like eight or ten stringed instruments screeching out of tune and completely out of sync with each other.

Back home, we enjoyed dessert, provided by Mother. This morning, she brought over a diet-friendly cake and a bowl of sweetened strawberries, which we had with dollops of fat-free whipped topping.

Mother went home afterward, and Hubbie went outdoors to work in the yard, while I went shopping. I was interested in looking for a pair of khaki pants, and I found a pair at the store that has a sale every weekend. I purchased them with part of a gift card Hubbie gave me for Christmas, and applied a 20% off coupon that was given to me as I entered the store.

I also looked for summer shirts for Mother in the petite department, with no luck. So I went to the other store that has a sale every weekend, where I found two suitable shirts. One is a blue floral pattern, and the other is a dark blue chambray. I also found a shirt on the clearance rack for myself.

As soon as I returned home, I took the shirts to Mother, but she was sound asleep on the couch. She didn't hear me enter, though her front door creaks. I spoke, but she didn't wake. As I started to leave, she roused. I stayed only long enough to show her what I'd purchased.

At home, after a French toast supper, Hubbie and watched the 2009, PG-13 movie, "Coco Before Chanel," a subtitled French film about the early life of the famous clothing designer.

0 comments: