Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday, June 27

Up at 7:30, and did a treadmill session and resistance exercises after breakfast. After that, Hubbie put color in my hair, in anticipation of getting a haircut Wednesday. Right afterward, I got a call from the director of the upcoming Fairytale Theater production. She wanted me to burn one of the photos I took at rehearsals and take it to the local newspaper, to accompany a press release. So while I waited the 25 minutes for the hair color to act, I chose a photo and tried to burn it.

Well...nothing worked. I thought we'd ironed out the problems with the CD burning program on my office computer, but apparently not. Nothing I tried worked. And since I'd stupidly deleted the photos from my camera memory card, I couldn't load the photos to my laptop. So I decided to put the photos on a flash drive, then download them to my laptop, then burn a shot to a CD for the newspaper. Had problems with that, too. My last resort was to send an image to the one-hour service and request it be burned to a CD, so that's what I did. After that, I found out what the flash drive problem was and began loading select photos onto it.

Didn't finish the job before it was time to wash my hair and head downstairs for lunch. So I didn't have time to do my tutoring lesson plan for a session this afternoon.

After lunch, I took Mother to an ophthalmologist appointment. While we were in the waiting room, I briefly went over my lesson plan. The clinic was pretty prompt in taking Mother to an exam room, where, among other things, they dilated her eyes.

Back home, Mother relaxed for the rest of the afternoon, since it took a while for her eyes to recover. Even though it was nearly 2 p.m., and my tutoring session was at 2:30, I hurried to make a pot of salmon chowder for supper, since I knew I wouldn't have time to make it after I got home.

In the spirit of nothing going right, I simply could not open the canned salmon with the electric can opener, and finally in angry frustration, I used the manual opener. Then, maybe because I was already ticked off, or maybe because I was in a hurry, I spilled the water from the salmon can all over the kitchen counter and floor, splashing it on my shoes as well. I hoped I wouldn't smell "fishy" during the tutoring session.

By the time I got the salmon chowder made, it was already 2:30, so I was a few minutes late arriving at the college. But I'd warned my student last week that I might be late, since I didn't know how long Mother and I would have to sit in the waiting room.

My student greeted me with a bag holding two nice ripe peaches from a batch that she and her husband had gotten in the northern part of the state over the weekend. When I got home, I gave one to Mother, and Hubbie and I ate the other one diced and added to fresh blackberries, served over ice cream later this evening.

Before we started our tutoring session, I checked with the librarian to see if the library will be closed next Monday for Independence Day, and it will. So I scheduled our next session for the following Monday, July 11.

Today, we covered a lot of ground in the tutoring session, though, learning to double consonants before adding "-ing," as in get-t-ing, cut-t-ing, etc. Or verbs that do not need an extra consonant before adding "-ing," as in hunt-ing, and fish-ing.

We also practiced using "getting" with various adjectives: getting thin, getting fat, getting old, getting tired, etc. Then we moved on to sentences using "getting" with forms of transportation: getting in, getting out of, getting on, getting off...a car, a train, a plane a bus, a bicycle.

We dealt with have/had; did/didn't; was/wasn't; were/weren't, and changing statements into the questions of how and why.

Back home, we enjoyed the salmon chowder for supper, with applesauce/oatmeal muffins that Mother made last night. Mother went home afterward, and I downloaded the Fairytale Theater photos from a flash drive to my laptop, and then burned them to a CD.

Later, Hubbie and I watched the 2005 movie, "Convicted." This is a prison drama about a woman on death row for kidnapping and killing a child. She has six days before execution. During her time in prison, she receives a series of letters from a man, and falls in love with his words. He visits her, and falls in love with her. When the man discovers evidence that might prove the woman's innocence, they plot to get her out of prison. But is there time to prove his case?

0 comments: