Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thursday, June 30

Last day of June. Another month raced by. I must be having a lot of fun, because time sure is flying.

Had trouble going to sleep last night, and was still awake at 2 a.m. Unwisely, I had a cup of regular coffee at the luau yesterday morning, and the caffeine probably affected me.

Got up at 7 a.m. anyway, and did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast. Mother came over while I was on the treadmill and began working on a greeting card. But just after I had showered, she called upstairs to say she was going home. She felt "iffy" and tired, she said. Later, I checked on her, and she seemed okay.

Once I was ready for the day, Hubbie and I ran errands...to see if the farmer's market was open, and it wasn't; to the WDCS for groceries and incidentals, and back to town to a grocery store to pick up a prescription and a carton of ice cream.

At the WDCS, the checker mentioned that she noticed we didn't bring the sales papers from other grocery stores, so that we could get some of our groceries at the lower prices offered by those stores.

I told her that we do take advantage of sales at other stores by buying the items at those stores.

"Oh, No! We don't want you to do that!" she exclaimed.

I dare say not, but if folks don't buy at the other grocery stores, then the WDCS will succeed in gaining a monopoly, and I, for one, don't plan to help them do that.

I think the store may be fearful of a new grocery store that opened today. It advertised that it is selling groceries at 10% above wholesale prices. I'm thinking it would be hard for the WDCS to match those prices.

Back home, I completed a couple of more scrapbook pages. I've now done all I'm going to do on that project, and will begin making greeting cards tomorrow.

While I was doing that, Hubbie took the loaner car back to the other town and picked up our truck. He was glad to be rid of the loaner car, since it was bit of a wreck with thin tires.

For supper, I baked potatoes to be topped with leftover hot dog chili, chopped green onions, Monterey Jack cheese, and sour cream. For sides, I heated the leftover fried green tomatoes, and a can of whole kernel corn. The last of the sourdough bread completed the meal.

Later, we watched the 2010 movie, "Robin Hood," starring Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett. This classic tale adds to the rob-from-the-rich-to-give-to-the-poor theme by letting viewers see how the thief-with-a-heart-of-gold, his merry men, and Maid Marion form a band of crusaders for good.

0 comments: