Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sunday, July 3

Another really hot day. Though Hubbie ventured out into the heat, Mother and I preferred to stay in our air conditioned house.

Hubbie was up at his usual 7 a.m. time this morning, but I snoozed on until nearly 8:30. I skipped my exercises this morning, so I could quickly have breakfast and get ready for the day in order to have plenty of time to work on making greeting cards.

Mother came over around 9:30 a.m., and we went to work right away. Today, I made an Easter card, a Valentine, and a Christmas card. Mother finished a Mother's Day card she began working on yesterday, and then made a Valentine.

For lunch, Mother made Swiss steak, which we had with mashed potatoes and green beans. After lunch, we finished the cards we'd started, and then cleared away the mess we'd made. Tomorrow, Mother will finish a scrapbook page, and I will make a couple of more cards...one using handmade paper, and one using embossing tools.

Before Mother went home this afternoon, we searched for dishes to use in making place settings to be entered in the fair. I think I'll center mine on a brunch theme...mixed pattern blue/pink floral China, set on a blue placemat topped with a lace doily, a China coffee pot, sugar bowl and creamer, and a white cutwork embroidery napkin. Mother will use a combination of black and white dishes and a white teapot for an afternoon tea theme.

Mother has busied herself the past week or so baking and freezing cookies, muffins, etc., for the fair. So far, the only baked goods I've made are blueberry muffins, and sugar cookies. But I do plan to make bran muffins and a coffee cake. I can't make the coffee cake, though, until the evening before I'll enter a sample of it, because I want it to be freshly baked...it doesn't freeze as well as cookies and muffins.

Later, Hubbie and I watched the 2005 Lifetime Movie Network feature, "Their Eyes are Watching God," starring Halle Berry, Reuben Santiago-Hudson, and Michael Ealy. A high-spirited young woman, living with a much older man, yearns for adventure. She encounters a dashing older man, who marries her, but then tries to smother her spirit. After 20 years of living her husband's dream, she is released to pursue another life. She marries a man many years younger than herself, but stuff happens.

Before we watched this movie, we started watching "The Men Who Stare at Goats," starring George Clooney. It's a satire that's supposed to be fall-down-laughing funny, but we didn't get the joke...we were just puzzled by it. So we ditched it.

0 comments: