Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wednesday, August 3

Whew, today we are suffering the hottest day in recorded history! The temperature in our county eventually rose to 109 degrees, with a heat index of 114. I've often wished our water aerobics session was later in the morning, but this morning, I was glad it was earlier.

We were up at 6:30, so I could get ready to go to the pool. Today, two sections of the parking lot were blocked off, so I had to walk a distance to the gym. Ordinarily, I welcome a little extra walking, but I could have done without it on this sultry morning. Later, when I left the pool, I found out why the parking lot sections were blocked off...a couple of guys were painting the white stripes separating each space. So hopefully, those sections will be open to parking on Friday.

Fewer members attended the aerobics session this morning. I guess some of the ladies didn't want to venture into the heat.

Back home afterward, once I was ready for the day, Mother came over to chop veggies for chicken salad. While she was doing that, Hubbie and I ran errands...to the newspaper office to drop off this week's puzzle search contest entry, to the greeting card shop to buy two baby gift cards, to a pharmacy to pick up on-sale hair color, to a bank to pick up a photography contest entry form (which, I learned, ended July 30), and to the WDCS for various things.

While I was at the WDCS, I complained to an associate who was stocking the ice cream refrigerator that the store no longer carried the fat-free variety of my favorite brand of ice cream. He made a note of it, saying he would try to get some ordered, but didn't know if his request would be honored by the higher-ups in the store. I suspect that it will not.

Back home, after lunch, I put together the chicken salad, and then busied myself clearing away everything related to the fair. I took Mother's fair items to her house, and stowed mine in their appointed places.

After that, I started catching up on blog posts. Later, for supper, we had the chicken salad on slices of the homemade wheat bread, along with tomatoes, cottage cheese, and chips. A cold sandwich supper was just the thing after a long, hot day.

Afterward, I accompanied Mother home, and then Hubbie and I watched TV, while I continued posting blogs.

Today, because of the extreme heat, we brought the cats in from the sun room. Even though the cats enjoy staying in the sun room, where they can entertain themselves watching the squirrels and birds from the low windows, today they were happy to come indoors, because when the temp in that room climbed to nearly 100, even they became uncomfortable.

The cats are quite happy to be home, after spending four days and nights being boarded at the vet's office. I don't think they particularly enjoyed listening to barking dogs. I wouldn't like that very much, either.

0 comments: