Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday, Nov. 11

Veteran's Day. The first thing Hubbie did was hang the flag on the well house in honor of veterans.

Veteran's Day this year falls on 11-11-11, which, for superstitious folks signifies good luck. I think those of us who woke on this beautiful, mild, autumn day in relative good health, with plenty to eat, a warm home, and blessed by family and friends, are extremely lucky anyway.

We were up at 6:30, so I could get Mother settled in the den, we could have breakfast, and I could get ready to go to water aerobics. Though the weather warmed to the 70s later in the day, there was frost on the van windows this morning.

The water in the pool, though, was wonderfully warm. Seventeen of us enjoyed the aerobics session.

Back home, after I had a couple of cups of coffee, I changed into a swimsuit so I could help Mother take a shower. We waited, though, until the physical therapist arrived, so she could watch our procedure for getting Mother into and out of the shower. Before we headed to the shower, though, a visiting nurse arrived to check Mother's vitals. Then the therapist interviewed Mother.

After that, we headed to the bathroom. The therapist had no suggestions for a better way to help Mother with her shower, so after Mother was dressed and back in the den again, the therapist showed her how to rise from her chair, and grasp the walker in preparation for walking. Mother had to do this three times. Then the therapist had Mother stand up and not hold onto anything, while she checked her balance by gently pushing her chest and then her shoulders. She confirmed what I'd told her, that Mother is weak and wobbly.

The therapist exercised Mother's arms and legs while Mother was seated...resistance exercises involving Mother pushing against the therapist's hands and arms. The session was short today, but she will return each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for several weeks. The visiting nurse will come twice a week for a couple of weeks, and then once a week thereafter, if all goes well.

The session ended about 11:30. So before I went upstairs to get ready for the day, I fixed Mother a lunch of Ramen noodle soup, a slice of cheese, crackers, and a small slice of streusel coffee cake.

Hubbie had gone to the local Catholic Church bake sale while the therapist and nurse visited Mother...this was at my request, because I'd heard at the pool this morning that homemade cinnamon rolls would be available. They were not...the lady who bakes them didn't show up. But Hubbie selected several other baked goods, instead, including the coffee cake, a small pineapple cake, iced brownies, and chocolate-oatmeal drop cookies.

After lunch, Mother was plenty ready for a nap. While she slept, Hubbie and I went to the WDCS for a few grocery items. While there, I decided to go ahead and pick up a turkey breast, a ham, and canned foods related to Thanksgiving dinner. I also picked up several items I'll need for a graham cracker cookie Christmas House workshop I'll be conducting the first part of December.

Back home, after we unloaded the groceries, and I checked on Mother, who was awake but not ready to get up yet, Hubbie and I went to the hydroponic farm to get tomatoes, and then to a grocery store for a few items we couldn't find at the WDCS.

At home again, I fixed a supper of white gravy with chopped boiled eggs added, which I served over toast, with a side of potatoes sauteed with green onions. Not a particularly healthy meal, but one that Mother really enjoyed.

After that, it was TV time. We watched a couple of one-hour shows, and then Mother was ready to go to bed around 8:30.

0 comments: