Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thursday, Nov. 10

Up around 7:30 this morning, and after I got Mother settled, and we'd all had breakfast, I did a treadmill session and resistance exercises.

Mother stayed up until around 1 p.m. today, the longest since she came home from the hospital. She watched several TV shows recorded on DVR that she'd missed during evening hours, while I got ready for the day and then did chores around the house.

For lunch, I fixed Ramen noodle soup for Mother, and chicken sandwiches for Hubbie and me. A while later, Mother was ready for a nap.

While she slept, Hubbie and I ran errands...to the bank, and to the store that has a sale every weekend to look for a non-skid rug for the bathroom that Mother uses for her shower. I didn't find what I wanted in rugs, so I looked at towels and wash clothes to match Mother's bathroom at her house. She's been commented on the comfortable thickness of the towels at our house. Her own towels are lightweight.

I found dark brown towels on sale at the store, but no matching wash clothes (go figure). So we went to the WDCS, where I found a cushiony non-skid bath mat, and thick brown towels and wash clothes for essentially the same price as the ones at the other store.

I also found fleece wear for Mother...a set of slate gray, and a set of navy blue...that will also become Christmas gifts.

Back home, Mother was still sleeping, so I relaxed with my laptop until time to put leftovers in the oven for supper. Mother woke up around 4:30 p.m., ready for supper.

From the leftovers, she chose chicken in gravy over rice, and sweet potatoes. Hubbie and I had the beef strips with peppers and onions over rice, sweet potatoes, and turnips.

While supper was heating, Son called to talk with Hubbie about the materials that will be needed to build a ramp onto Mother's porch. Son and Grandson, and family, will be here the Saturday after Thanksgiving (weather permitting) to work on the project.

Later, we watched TV, including a Hallmark Channel 2011 movie called, "Love's Christmas Journey." Set in the 1800s, a young woman visits her brother in another town after losing her husband and child in a tornado. During her visit, a young man courting the mayor's daughter is accused of burning the mayor's barn. The visiting woman believes his is innocent and sets about proving it. Meanwhile her brother, who is a sheriff, is shot by a robber while on a trip. All ends well, and the young woman even finds love again. This was a three hour movie (when we fast-forwarded through commercials), but Mother stayed up for the whole thing.

Got an interesting phone call a couple of days ago. A woman was looking for a teaching photographer to do a project with children, and she'd gotten my name from the art gallery director. The project is a national initiative to teach children in the delta of our state how to use cameras, and then have them photograph people and places in their communities. The photos would then be enlarged to 8x10, framed, and exhibited (I don't know where), as a way to bring the plight of the poorest area of our state to the attention of folks. This sounds like a really interesting project, but of course I'm in no position right now to take advantage of it, so I had to decline.

0 comments: