Saturday, December 24, 2011

Saturday, Dec. 24

Christmas Eve...hope everyone had a good one!

Up at 7:30 on this sunny, but crisp morning. Sis came over pretty early, packed and ready to head to her town. She arrived home around 10:30 a.m.

My morning went pretty much as usual. Started with a treadmill session and resistance exercises. After I was ready for the day, I uploaded photos of the Christmas lights tour last night, plus snapshots of our new nativity scene, and ornaments on the living room tree.

After lunch, I did some last-minute Christmas shopping...to a gas station/convenience store to pick up scratch-off lottery tickets for Hubbie from me, and to the other store that has a sale every weekend to buy an on-sale (plus 20% off coupon) knit shirt as part of Mother's gift to Hubbie. Then I went to the WDCS to get an ice scraper, a bottle of de-icer, and a gallon of windshield wiper fluid that is supposed to keep rainwater from beading up on the windshield. These things were the other part of Mother's gift to Hubbie.

As soon as I returned home, Hubbie ran errands. I don't know what he was doing, other than picking up a few groceries.

While he was gone, Mother and I watched "The Nutcracker," starring Mikail Baryshnikov. Hubbie came back home before it was over and hurried upstairs, because this is not his favorite show.

We followed that show with the Christmas movie musical, "Mrs. Santa Claus," starring Angela Landsbury. During the movie, Mother chopped onions, bell pepper, and ham, for a breakfast for supper meal. I sauteed the veggies and ham and scrambled them with eggs and cheese. We had this with the leftover fried potatoes from Wednesday's beans and ham supper, and slices of bran bread.

Later, around 7 p.m., we opened Christmas gifts, because we weren't sure what time Mother would want to go to bed. We gave Mother a couple of sets of fleece wear, and plush towels and wash clothes for her home bathroom, along with tops and leggings underwear to keep her warm.

Among Hubbie's gifts from me are the lastest John Grisham novel, and something that touched all of us...a memory stone for our deceased Shih Tzu. It includes a heart-shaped tag with her name, and dates of birth and death. The stone will be placed in the flower garden where she is buried.

For me there are gift cards, classic music CDs (Frank Sinatra and Tom Jones), ankle weights (graduated from one pound to ten pounds), a pendent I admired at the boy's ranch craft fair, and a smart phone.

The cats didn't get any gifts, but they were happy exploring the gift bags so that I could snap photos of them.

We finished the evening watching a movie..."Nativity!," a PG film. This is a British comedy based on a Catholic school nativity play. Two male teachers have high hopes, thanks to the inflated promises of one of the teachers, that a Hollywood representative will attend the production and maybe make stars of some of the students.

Mother was enjoying the movie so much that she didn't go to bed until around 10 p.m.

It was a good day.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

James got the latest John Grisham novel for Christmas, too! Small world. For my truck, I usually get the washer fluid that has de-icer in it instead of the rain kind. I use the de-icer kind for the winter only, although right now my reservoir happens to be out or I could have used it early this morning!

Sixty Something said...

The reason I got the rain kind of fluid is so the rain will sheet off the windshield (or so I was told by the sales clerk), so that visibility is good even without wipers. Hubbie hates using the wipers. And it makes me crazy trying to see through the raindrops on a heavily rain-beaded windshield in a downpour!