Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Day

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas Day.

I had one of those nights when I couldn't go to sleep until nearly 2 a.m., and then I woke up a couple of times after that, and finally got up at 7 a.m. Hubbie slept until 7:30, and it was nearly 8:30 before Mother rolled out of bed.

After breakfast, I helped Mother take a shower, and then I went up to my office computer and posted photos I took last night...mainly the antics of the cats with the gifts bags, etc.

Once I was ready for the day, I prepared a large beef roast for the slow cooker. Mother cut up onions for it. I seasoned the roast with salt-free seasoning, pepper, thyme, paprika, and sprigs of rosemary from the plant the Niece gave us, and then I seared the beef before putting it in the slow cooker with the onions, some carrots, and cans of chicken broth and beef broth.

Then I finished baking a loaf of yeast bread that Sis provided, and set the table with my mixed-pattern China, cloth napkins, the good silverware, and stemware glasses.

We spent the rest of the morning relaxing in the living room. We didn't turn on the TV. We didn't play music. We just sat and enjoyed the quiet.

The roast was ready around 1 p.m. Hubbie had peeled potatoes, which I boiled and mashed. I'd put a dish of asparagus in the oven, which was hot and ready by this time. I also made a pan of beef gravy for the meal. The roast was great with the veggie accompaniments and fruit salad that Hubbie made yesterday, slices of warm yeast bread and butter, and glasses of wine (except for Mother). Several times, Hubbie commented on how good the meal was.

After lunch, we watched the last two of my Christmas DVDs..."Scrooge," with Alastair Sims, and "It's a Wonderful Life."

Continued watching TV for the rest of the evening. Mother went to bed around 8 p.m.

As I usually do on Sundays, I distrubuted Mother's and my medications into daily pill dispensers this evening. It's no wonder elderly people get confused about their medications. One of Mother's was an ulcer med, to be taken twice a day. That prescription was written by her primary doctor. But she has only two of those tablets left.

So she needs to begin taking a new prescription, written by the doctor who did her endoscopy recently. This one, though, requires that she take only one capsule per day. If I hadn't read the label, I'd have just assumed she should continue taking two capsules a day, as with the old prescription.

0 comments: