Saturday, December 31, 2011

Saturday, Dec. 31

New Year's Eve. Last day of 2011. Can't say I'm sorry to see it go. There were some high points, of course, with a wedding, and births of great-grandchildren. But there were also some real low points...tornadoes, broken bones, illnesses, and deaths. Hoping 2012 will bring more high points than low points.

We were up around 7:30 this morning, on a day that promised to be glorious weather-wise. I skipped my exercises, in anticipation of riding my bike during the warmest part of the afternoon.

Once I was ready for the day, Hubbie and I ran errands...to a grocery store to get shredded Monterey Jack cheese, of which there was none. The stocking clerk declared that he'd worked there for four years, and in that time there had never been packaged shredded Monterey Jack. That is just so not true. It's true that the WDCS quit carrying it some time ago, but that's why we started buying it at this store. The last couple of times we've searched for it, though, we haven't been able to find it.

So we went to another grocery store, where there also was none. The clerk there said that if the WDCS and the other grocery store quit carrying it, it's because the distributor quit ordering it for our region, due to the product not moving fast enough. Phooey. So now we have to buy the cheese in blocks and grate it ourselves. No big deal, but just not as convenient.

From the grocery stores, we went to the medical supplies store, where we bought a shower chair/bench for Mother. Then we went to the WDCS for incidentals and groceries. I had hoped to find a plain chocolate cake here, but everything had puddings included. So I'll need to go back to a grocery store to try to find one. I want just a classic cake that I can add applesauce and egg substitute to, for a healthier birthday dessert for me. If I can't find one, I'll make one from scratch, I guess.

On the way home, we stopped by the Catholic Church again to find out what days and times the office is open. I tried calling the Church, but among the long list of options, not one told me when the office is open. I want to get a mass card for the member of our graduating class who passed away this month. I meant to go Friday and forgot, then I forgot what times the office is open, so today, I wrote the times down so I could note them on my calendar.

Back home, after lunch, I checked with Mother. She was doing fine, but she'd eaten only a cracker with a piece of cheese for lunch. When I'd talked to her earlier, she assured me she could heat soup in the microwave, but I guess she just didn't want to make the effort. So I heated some for her.

I brought most of the ingredients I'd need to make bagel pizzas for supper, so she diced onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms, which I sauteed. Then she went back to the living room, and I came home to change clothes for a bike ride.

Hubbie accompanied me on the ride, of course. It was a mild afternoon, but the wind was very brisk, and it was blowing straight at us. Hubbie managed to pump his bicycle up the steep hill, but I was only able to make it part way, before I had to dismount and walk my bike up the rest of the way. I managed the rest of the ride just fine.

Back home afterward, we relaxed and watched TV for the rest of the afternoon until it was time for me to go to Mother's to finish preparing supper. We had the bagel pizzas with macaroni and cheese and corn-on-the-cob.

I was surprised at how much Mother was able to eat this evening. I think it might have been because she wasn't eating alone.

After supper, we played Skip-Bo until 8 p.m., which is Mother's bedtime. We snacked on chocolates, and celebrated the new year a little early with Golden Spumante for Hubbie and me, and sparkling grape juice for Mother. She enjoyed the evening, but was tired by the time we quit playing cards.

At home, Hubbie and I began watching Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve, but after a few minutes, I saw that Hubbie was bored with it, so I started a movie on DVR for him.

Did we see the new year in? I'll let you know tomorrow.

0 comments: