Thursday, March 15, 2012

Thursday, March 15

Slept better last night, and got up around 7:30 feeling refreshed. Skipped my exercises, though, so I could finish sprucing the house for an afternoon meeting of the scrapbook club.

Once I was satisfied with the house, I prepared a platter of sliced apples, strawberries, and grapes to serve to the ladies.

After a lunch of leftovers for Hubbie and me, I went to Mother's house to accompany her to our house. We began working on scrapbook pages around 12:30. By 1 p.m., the other two ladies had arrived.

We had a nice visit, and each of us accomplished quite a bit in our projects. Around 2 p.m., I offered refreshments of the fruits, plus their choice of drinks. One of the ladies chose sweetened tea, and one opted for water. Mother had coffee, and I had water.

The meeting ended promptly at 3 p.m., but before the ladies left, we set a date of Tuesday, March 27 to meet again and make Easter cards for Caring Hands Hospice.

Mother decided not to join us for supper, so Hubbie accompanied her home. Hubbie and I relaxed for the rest of the afternoon (he spent his time napping). I read the evening newspaper, played on my laptop, then put a dish of leftover chicken and rice in the oven, along with a dish of butter beans, for our supper.

Turned the TV off for an hour and sorted a drawer that contained, among other things, old handheld electronic games. The Scrabble game, manufactured in China, came with undecipherable instructions. It's been a long time since I've played it, so I didn't quite figure out the functions tonight, though I remember that Mother and I played it years ago, so if I was of a mind, I'd learn how to play it again.

Another of the gadgets is loaded with (it declares) 250 kinds of computer games of the car-chase variety that can be played at fifteen levels and a multitude of speeds. I never did understand this gadget, but when the grandkids were younger, they seemed to figure it out right away.

There's a fishing game that simulates a rod and reel...the player casts it in an attempt to catch the "lunker," the biggest of the fish. There are also solitaire and poker games, as well as a Sudoko game and a Wheel of Fortune game. The batteries are dead in a few of them, so we couldn't test them. We wasted time playing with a few that did work, though.

Later, we wasted time watching an edge-of-your-seat 2010 horror movie, "The Crazies." An experimental toxin poisons the water in a small town, causing people to become insane, violent, and then die. To get control of the situation, the government orders the extermination of affected citizens. The citizenry of the whole town are rounded up, examined one-by-one, and separated into well and sick. The sick are shot, and their bodies burned. The sheriff and his wife seem unaffected, but for how long? Lots of action and blood letting.

0 comments: