Monday, June 25, 2012

Monday, June 25

Up at 6:30 to get ready to go to water aerobics. Enjoyed the walk to and from the gym, even if it was a bit warm. The pool was cool, as usual, but wonderful once I got used to it.

The talk today, as it was Friday, was about cattle ranchers losing animals to anaplasmosis...a disease transmitted by horse flies. One of the members and her husband own cattle, and have lost only one to the disease, but neighbors have lost two or three, and one lost ten. That represents a lot of money.

This is a disease that usually presents in late summer or early fall, but thanks to a mild winter and very warm spring, it is occurring much earlier. It's mainly fatal to cattle two years old and older. Animals that survive can become carriers.

Once I was ready for the day after water aerobics, I visited with Sis and Mother, who had come to our house while I was upstairs. We didn't do anything productive before lunch.

Hubbie went to the WDCS to pick up deli turkey and bread for lunch. Sis and Hubbie were able to dress their sandwiches with not only cheese and tomatoes, but Vidalia onions. I skipped the onion, since I was scheduled to meet my ESL student this afternoon.

At 2:30, I went down to the college. My student was already there. Today, we reviewed the lesson from last week, since she needed to ask several questions about it, and write sentences using what she learned.

One thing that she asked about was the term "fill out," as in "fill out an application." She has heard this term several times and couldn't grasp the meaning. I demonstrated the term, and then asked her to look it up in her Spanish/English dictionary. The light dawned then.

In the use of the affirmative "must," and the negative "must not," she stumbled on whether we must or must not write in library books, and answered that we must write in library books. This was because in Venezuela, the word meaning an institution for lending books is "biblioteca." A "librero" is a bookseller.

She was also amused that a person can be named Fran. In Spanish it means Francisco or Franco. I explained that in English, Fran is short for the feminine Frances. But that the masculine form is Francis.

She then needed to understand the word "while." When she looked it up in her Spanish dictionary, she understood that it means "in the meantime."

Besides reviewing the lesson, we also chatted about various things, including her love of architecture and house renovations. She said she has designed houses in Venezuela from scratch, which an architect friend helped her build. And she has also overseen renovations of older homes. She and her friend are also skilled in interior design.

It's no wonder, then, that she's also an artist. She showed me photos of some of her work. I'd like to take her to the art gallery, so she can meet the director, and perhaps get her work displayed.

At the end of the session, when I got into the van to drive home, I nearly blistered my hands on the steering wheel! Gad it was hot...and the sun wasn't even shining into the windshield. I should have rolled the windows down a little. Next time, I'll do that, and I'll also take a towel to lay over the steering wheel.

Back home, Hubbie had heated leftover spaghetti and sauce, and Sis had prepared a salad, for our supper. I had insisted that Mother nap while I was gone to the tutoring session, and she was still snoozing peacefully on the couch when I got home. But she woke up in time for supper.

Sis headed home a little while later, and I accompanied Mother to her house. Then Hubbie and I watched TV for the evening, including a 1993 Lifetime Movie Network feature called, "A Matter of Justice." Based on a true story, a young man joins the Marines, and on a night out meets a loose woman, who snares him into marrying her.

The couple has a child, but she continues her philandering ways, and is neglectful of the child. He decides to divorce her, but attempts reconcilation later. She's not interested in reconciliation. Later, he is stabbed to death by her boyfriend. The mother of the young man suspects his widow's involvement and sets out to get justice.









0 comments: