Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thursday, June 28

Up around 7:30 this morning. Did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast. Hubbie ran a couple of errands while I did this, and then he accompanied Mother to our house. She prepared veggies to include in a pork roast, while I got ready for the day.

Before lunch, Hubbie and I ran a couple of errands...first to the art gallery, where we picked up a certificate for an oil change and tire rotation that we won at the silent auction last Friday night.

The art council director mentioned that she had several items from the silent auction that either had not been bid on, or that had not been picked up at bidding, and we were welcome to go through them and choose whatever we wanted for the minimum bid prices. I bought gift certificates for four restaurants, and a season pass to community theater productions. Hubbie bought a black cap that came with a certificate for free embroidry of whatever design he wants to have put on it.

From the art gallery, we stopped by a cafe' to pick up a container of chicken salad. This was at the request of Mother, who loves the stuff.

After lunch, I browned the pork roast with various seasonings, and put it, along with carrots and onions, and a can each of low-sodium beef and chicken broth, into the slow cooker to simmer for the afternoon.

Mother napped after that, while I did this and that, and Hubbie shopped for a few groceries at the WDCS.

The roast was good, served with mashed potatoes and gravy, and individual cups of applesauce.

After supper, I accompanied Mother to her house. Then I went to the middle school auditorium to see a show of Broadway tunes, performed by seventeen adults and eighteen children, in both full cast numbers and solos.

It was a mostly good show, but it was much too long. The woman who produced it owns a dance studio, and in designing the show, she inserted narrations in between sets of songs. The narrations were histories of Broadway shows, as well histories of the eras in which they were produced.

The show began at 7 p.m., and was still going on when I decided I needed to leave around 9 p.m. I quietly exited between sets of tunes. A couple, upon seeing me get up and leave, got up and scooted out with me. We all agreed that the show was way too long.

I did enjoy several of the numbers, though...especially those performed by a couple of women from the community theater, who have fabulous voices. My favorite song was a very stirring performance of "Pie Jesu" from "Requiem." But I also enjoyed "Memory," from "Cats," "Let the Sun Shine In," from "Hair," "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat," from "Guys and Dolls," and "It's a Hard-Knock Life," from "Annie." Altogether, there were twenty-eight tunes, with long narrations between.

Wow! Our county was the hottest in the state today, at 108 degrees! And it had cooled to only 90 degrees when we left the auditorium.

************************************************************************************

Looking through some change today, I noticed a shiny nickel that commemorates the Lewis and Clark expedition. On the back is a seaside scene, with this exclamation: "Ocean in view! Oh, the joy!" Never noticed that before.



0 comments: