Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday, July 20

Up at 6:30 this morning to get ready to go to water aerobics. Hubbie had already turned on the TV, and we were met with the awful news of the shooting tragedy at a Colorado movie theater. Many dead, and many more injured. Our hearts go out to the families of the victims. It's beyond my comprehension how anyone could do this. Of course, this horrible event was the main topic of conversation at the pool.

Back home afterward, I hurried to shower and dress, so we could attend senior day at the county fair. We didn't enter anything in the fair this year, but we were still interested in touring the exhibit buildings, including the animal barns, as well as the commercial builing.

Mother especially enjoyed the animal exhibits, and I snapped a few pictures of her petting goats. She was enchanted by a miniature donkey, too. I was interested in the Belted Galloway cattle. These beautiful animals are black, with a white belt around their middles. The cattle originated in Scotland, and are especially suited to poor pasture land. The first time we saw these cattle was on a trip to Texas several years ago.

It was pretty hot at the fairgrounds, so while I pushed Mother through the animal barns, Hubbie went in search of water for me. But while he was gone, a worker in the cattle barn brought us two bottles of ice cold water. I was very grateful, because I was parched.

Later, Hubbie returned with cups of water for us. Since we already had water, he drank both cups. Then he went to the entertainment shed to pick up three tickets for lunch, which were also good for door prize drawings.

I continued pushing Mother in her wheelchair through the barns, which was no small task, since some were floored in sawdust or gravel. Got a good muscle-building workout.

We arrived at the entertainment shed around 11:30, where drawings for door prizes were already underway. Hubbie had won a certificate for two meals at a fast food chicken restaurant. And in a few minutes, he picked up another prize...a gift certificate for a cut and set at a local beauty shop.

At noon, the Area Agency on Aging provided lunch...hoagie sandwiches, with deli turkey and white cheese, topped with slices of tomato and purple onion, along with macaroni salad, and canned peaches with an oatmeal/raisin cookie, and individual cartons of 2% white milk.

Mother and I preferred cold water to the milk, so we set those aside to bring home. Neither of us is fond of oatmeal/raisin cookies, either, so we brought those home for Hubbie to enjoy later.

The one thing we missed at the fair was homemade lemonade. No one was manning the food/beverage cart this time...probably just too hot for people to work in there during the day.

There have been some heat-related illnesses at the fair this year. In fact, the daughter of one of the water aerobics members had to go to the hospital yesterday for heat stress. The member said that shortly after her daughter arrived at the hospital, three others, who had also been at the fair, were brought in.

So I was careful to keep taking in fluids while we were there, though I could get Mother to take only a sip or two of water during that couple of hours. Of course, since she was sitting the whole time, I guess she didn't get as warm or as thirsty as I did.

Shortly after we returned home, Mother went to the couch for her afternoon nap. She really enjoyed the fair, but any outing tires her, so she slept around three hours.
Hubbie snoozed quite a while, too, but I spent the afternoon reading my novel.

Later, for supper, Hubbie did the honors of fixing French toast, which we had with turkey bacon. I accompanied Mother home afterward, and then Hubbie and I watched TV, including the movie, "The Day After Tomorrow."

Of course, we've seen this one before, but there was nothing else of interest, thanks to an empty DVR. In fact, this is a new DVR, brought to us by a cable company tech this morning while I was at water aerobics, because the old one wasn't allowing caller ID to appear on screen. The landline has caller ID, too, but for some reason, Hubbie can't seem to see it, so he tends to want to pick up on every call, despite my suggesting he wait for voice mail. Most calls are junk, and I want him to be able to see that on screen.

**************************************************************************************
Notes: At the college this morning, I noticed there were lots of grasshoppers springing here and there in the grass, on the sidewalk, and on the parking lot. In researching them, I've learned that along with Blister Beetles, grasshoppers are now invading crops...both insects are the result of drought.

In our yard later, I saw what looked like a large red and black striped ant...turns out it was really a red velvet wasp, the sting of which is very painful. I'll try to keep my distance from those!











0 comments: