Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wednesday, Oct. 3

Up at 6:30 this morning to get ready for water aerobics. Cool morning, requiring fleece wear and a hoodie. The pool was warm, but not as toasty as it had been Monday.

On the way to the gym, I heard a strange noise toward the back of the van. We all heard this noise on the way home from the illusionist program last night, and Hubbie and I had heard it yesterday morning while running errands. What could it be? When I got out of the van, I decided to inspect underneath it. There, on the rear passenger side, I found a limb stuck to something and dragging the ground. It was making a broken-fan sound when the car moved. I was able to dislodge it, solving the problem. Glad it wasn't a mechanical problem with the van!

Twenty-four of us attended the session, which started a little earlier today, because our leader needed to make a trip to the capital city for a 1 p.m. appointment concerning her thyroid problem, and she wanted to arrive in the city early enough to enjoy lunch with relatives before her appointment.

Before we began aerobics, she announced that we will not have a session Friday, because our lifeguard has to be out of town on business. I hate missing my time in the pool, but a break Friday might be welcome, since weather predictions are for rain and a plummet in temperature. I think I'd prefer to exercise indoors on a day like that.

Back home, I warmed up with a couple of cups of coffee, while Hubbie ran an errand. When he returned, he accompanied Mother to our house, where she diced onions, carrot, onions, and banana peppers, as well as a ham slice, for making split pea soup. I'd gathered the veggies and meat before she arrived, and while she completed the task, I got ready for the day.

Around 10:30, I washed the peas, and started the pot of soup simmering with the veggies, low-sodium chicken broth, and a variety of spices. Then I prepared a lunch of leftovers...mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, gravy, Lima beans, a small bit of lasagna, pork chop with apples and onions, and coleslaw.

While we ate, we watched Tuesday night's elimination episode of "Dancing With the Stars." Afterward, Mother was ready to head to the couch for a nap, while Hubbie went outdoors to repot the indoor plants, and I did a few chores and then settled in the den to read the novel I downloaded from the library. I need to finish it before it is automatically removed from my e-reader on Oct. 6.

Right after lunch, the central heat/air guy arrived. Hubbie had called him this morning requesting an annual safety inspection of the unit, before we need to turn on the heat...which might be this weekend!

Mother finished her nap around 3 p.m., so I started an NCIS show from DVR for her, while I read the last couple of chapters of my book.

Later, we had the split pea soup, with crackers and pimento cheese. Had fresh grapes for dessert. Afterward, I accompanied Mother to her house, then waited until she showered before returning home.

Hubbie and I spent the evening watching a 2003 from the library..."Coyote Waits," starring several recognizable native indian actors, such as Adam Beach, Wes Studi, and Graham Greene. On a Navajo reservation, a tribal cop is killed. A plot is uncovered, involving rival tribes, an historical artifact, a lost fortune, and a mythical coyote.

The movie is based on a book by Tony Hillerman. We've enjoyed listening to several audiobook murder mystery novels by this author, the settings of which are always on a Navajo reservation.

An interesting note: a publisher once turned down one of Hillerman's manuscripts, saying, "Your stories would be a lot more interesting if you'd take out all this American Indian stuff." Foolish publisher.

Following the movie, we watched the first of the 2012 presidential debates.








0 comments: