Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday, Feb. 1

First day of February. For some reason, when I recorded birthdays and events on the new calendar, I put April Fool's Day on today's date (Friday).

So I used correction fluid to blot it out and move it. No sooner had I recorded it, though, than I realized I'd put it on Friday, March 1. Drat! More correction fluid.

Flipped the calendar page to April and jotted the event on the first Friday...which is not April 1, but April 5. Double Drat!! Still more correction fluid.

By now, Hubbie was laughing uproariously. But I finally got it right. Not sure why I was determined to get it right...it's not exactly an important holiday.

Maybe my brain was dulled from lack of sleep. The outdoor cats squalled until around 2 a.m., keeping me awake. Hubbie woke up, too, got dressed, and went out to find out what the problem was. He found one of the cats up on the roof, so he fetched a ladder to rescue her. But she didn't want to be rescued, and ran away from him. He came back inside, still not knowing what was disturbing the cats. But they finally settled down, and we eventually drifted off to sleep.

But we were still sleepy when the alarm went off at 6:30. I halfway wished that predictions for possible snow flurries and cold winds would have materialized, so I could have stayed in my warm bed for a while longer. But it was sunny and calm outside, though very cold, so I dragged myself out and got ready to go.

It was a really chilly walk to and from the gym, but the water in the pool was heavenly warm, so I was glad I made the effort to go swim this morning. Only five of us showed up. Our leader was still absent, so another lady led the group. She helped us get a good workout, using water noodles to create resistance. I wouldn't mind doing this more often.

Back home, I couldn't wait to down a couple of cups of hot coffee to thaw out. Soon, Sis accompanied Mother to our house, where they started another jigsaw puzzle. While they worked, I got ready for the day, and Hubbie ran errands.

I spent the rest of the morning playing with my new tablet and reading my novel. For lunch, we had leftovers...sliced cold chicken, warmed mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans, for Mother and Sis, chili for Hubbie, and chicken salad sandwich, with veggie chips for me.

Mother and Sis continued with the jigsaw puzzle afterward, and I returned to my novel. Hubbie ran more errands, including delivering four styrofoam quarts of frozen 11-bean soup to the church, where the "Souper Saturday" fundraising event is to take place tomorrow.

Around 2:30, Sis decided she wanted to get on the road home, before the school buses ran. It was a good few days visit, and we'll look forward to her visiting again at the end of this month.

Later, I heated leftover lasagna for our supper, served with canned whole kernel corn, cottage cheese, and homemade bread. Soon after supper, the man who is to repair the ceiling in the den dropped by to assess the job. He stayed only a few minutes, and then set next Wednesday, around 3 p.m., to begin the task. That means I need to plan a meal Tuesday that can be heated as leftovers at Mother's house on Wednesday...probably soup.

After the man left, Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house, and then we watched TV, including a DVD we borrowed from the library...the 2007 PBS mini-series, "Cranford," about 1840s ladies who rule this rural town. The older of the women find it difficult to change their antiquated ways in a world being encroached upon by the Industrial Revolution.



















0 comments: