Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday, Feb. 11

Had one of those nights when I woke up at 4:30 and tossed and turned until I went to sleep again, and then woke up at 5:30, and tossed and turned until I want back to sleep. Then I woke up to the sound of the alarm at 6:30. Dragged myself out of bed to get ready for water aerobics. But it was one of those mornings when I couldn't seem to get launched, so it was around 7:45 before I got on the road to the gym.

I was afraid I'd have trouble finding a parking space at the college, but I didn't. Nice and sunny outside, but still a bit chilly for the walk to the gym. The pool, though, was heavenly warm. Sixteen of us showed up today, including the leader. Today, the leader conducted the session for the first fifteen minutes, and then turned it over to the substitute for water noodle resistance exercises. She seemed really tired today, so I think she welcomed someone else taking over.

Before we began aerobics, I asked the leader how she was feeling after her recent illness, and she said she still wasn't over it. She's lost her appetite, she said, and only wants to eat frozen fruit pops, or canned fruits, and only small portions of those. No wonder she's tired. She's not getting enough nutrients.

Funny: during the session, one member commented that she'd calculated how many glasses of water she needs to drink per day, according to literature that was included in the exercise book the substitute leader provided last week. Her calculation was based on her weight (she's considerably overweight), plus her medical condition of diabetes. According to the formula provided in the literature, she's to drink 23 glasses of water a day! We're thinking that's a bit too much...she could drown trying to drink that much.

Not only was it chilly, but a wind kicked up on my walk back to the van after aerobics. So when I got back home, I was more than ready for hot coffee. While I relaxed, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house. We didn't accomplish anything before lunch.

After lunch, Mother worked on her jigsaw puzzle, Hubbie ran errands, and I relaxed with my John Grisham novel. I had already prepared today's lesson for my student a few days ago, so I didn't need to do that today.

I met with my student at 2:30 as usual. In keeping with her constant generosity, she brought with her a large hunk of pineapple upside down cake. It looks delicious, but it's very yellow, so she probably made it with a store bought cake mix, so I won't eat it. But there's plenty for Hubbie and Mother.

Today, we reviewed several lessons in an effort to strengthen some weak points that showed up in the student's evaluation last week. The light bulb went off for her in most of it, but she is still foggy about the proper use of prepositions. So I will be looking online for lessons to e-mail to her.

Last week, the student told me that her husband had the flu. She said he is much better this week, but now her mother-in-law has fallen ill with it. She said it has been very difficult dealing with her, because she has alzheimer's disease, and so must be physically lifted in and out of bed. She is very child-like because of the disease, and seems incapable of helping herself up and down.

Back home, Hubbie had heated leftover beans and ham, fried potatoes, and cornbread and biscuits, from yesterday's lunch, and Mother had made dressing for coleslaw, for tonight's supper. It was all very good again.

Afterward, Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house, and then he and I watched an episode of "Downton Abbey," from the PBS channel.




0 comments: