Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wednesday, Feb. 13

Today is Grandson's sixteenth birthday. Happy Birthday, Grandson!

Up at 6:30 to get ready for water aerobics. It was a dreary-looking, overcast day, but I was glad to see that there was no snow on the ground.

The pool was nice and warm, and sixteen of us showed up. Several of us arrive about 30 minutes before the aerobic session, so we can swim in the deep end. This morning, though, several lanes of the pool were being used by young men. We supposed they are students at the college. We know that the time before 8 a.m. is open to lap swimmers, but there is rarely anyone there, except us, at 7:30. Today, though, we had to squeeze up in a couple of lanes at one side of the pool, while the young men finished their laps.

Once again, our regular leader was unable to attend. She is having an awful time getting rid of that sinus infection. She's now on her third round of antibiotics. So she is grateful that the substitute leader is keeping the group going in her absence.

Today, the substitute leader brought live long-stemmed roses for us...one for each member...for Valentine's Day. That was such a nice gesture. She also said she has ordered more water noodles for us, in different sizes. Larger ones create more resistance, she said. So I'd like to try one when they come in.

Back home after aerobics, I warmed up with a couple of cups of coffee, and then baked a chocolate cake from a boxed mix. The cake is for Valentine's Day, but I figured we would indulge in slices of it tonight. After the cake was baked, I got ready for the day. While I did that, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house. And then he went to the vet's office to pick up a red and white lacy scarf for his sister, who wanted one after she saw mine. We'll give it to her for her birthday on Feb. 23.

By now, it was lunchtime. I fixed Mother her usual lunch of Ramen noodle soup, and for Hubbie and me, I made bean sandwiches...leftover beans and ham, mashed, with mustard added. I heated the mixture, and then spread it on a slice of toast, topped it with diced sweet onion and a slice of American cheese. Heated this in the microwave until the cheese was melted, and then topped it with another slice of toast. Served the sandwiches with veggie chips.

After that, Mother worked on her jigsaw puzzle, while Hubbie and I ran errands...to the library to take back four movies we borrowed last week, and pick up four more; to the newspaper office to drop off this week's word search puzzle contest; to the bank; to a department store to use a $10 coupon (I found something I needed that cost exactly $10, and was surprised when no tax was charged on the item, so it was completely free); to a candy store to buy a quarter pound of Mother's favorite brand of jelly beans for Valentine's Day; to the WDCS; and finally, to the gas station.

What a pleasant day for errand-running. The chilly morning turned into a sunny, mild afternoon. Back home, I relaxed and read my John Grisham novel until time to prepare supper.

Around 4 p.m., Mother joined me in the kitchen, where she fixed coleslaw, and made galic butter to spread on French bread. I put a dish of leftover goulash in the oven to heat. The meal was good, with a side of cottage cheese for Mother and me, and leftover corn-on-the-cob for Hubbie.

Afterward, I fixed containers of the food for Mother to have for her supper tomorrow night, since Hubbie and I will be going out to eat for Valentine's Day. Mother was invited, of course, but she declined.

Later, Hubbie and I watched our favorite college basketball team as they played to a nail-biter win on the road...their first SEC road win. Yay!












0 comments: