Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wednesday, Feb. 6

Woke up at 5:30 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, so I was yawny when the alarm went off at 6:30. Dragged myself out of bed anyway to get ready for water aerobics.

I was surprised that there was frost on the van windows this morning. Hubbie went right out and scraped it off for me. I was surprised, too, that the pool was quite cool today, after it had been comfortably warm Monday.

A dozen of us showed up for aerobics, though our leader was not one of them. The report is that she hopes to return Friday. Today, the volunteer leader took over again. She brought with her a stack of nice 8"x11", 119-page, paperback books titled, "Exercise & Physical Activity." She obtained the free books from the county librarian, who ordered them from the National Institute on Aging.

Again today, our session consisted partly of regular aerobics, and partly of resistance exercises using water noodles. I enjoyed it.

Funny: while a few of us swam in the deep end of the pool, we talked about the various medications we take. Someone mentioned that it seems like the older we get, the more we have to take. "I'm afraid we won't get out this alive!" I quipped, which struck the funny bone of everyone within earshot.

Back home, I was glad to warm up with a couple of cups of coffee, and have a hot shower to take away the chill. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house around 10 a.m. Did a few household chores before lunch, and then afterward, Mother went to her jigsaw puzzle, and Hubbie and I ran a couple of errands. Went first to a health store to pick up a couple of quart jars of locally produced honey, and then to the WDCS for a few items.

At home again, we relaxed and waited for the guy who said he'd come by to begin work on the den ceiling. We thought he might be here sometime around 3:30, and since I figured he'd work past suppertime, and I wouldn't be able to work in the kitchen, I gathered the container of soup from last night, along with the biscuits and cornbread, to be taken to Mother's house.

I accompanied Mother home, where I later heated the leftovers for our supper. In the meantime, Hubbie stayed home to move the chairs and bar stools from the den to make room for the guy to work. Hubbie joined us for supper around 5 p.m. We enjoyed watching three or four squirrels take turns eating corn from the feeders while we ate...sort of dinner and a show.

Hubbie came back home as soon as he'd eaten, while I washed dishes and cleaned the kitchen. By 6:30, it became apparent that the guy wasn't going to show up today, so I came back home.

Hubbie and I spent the evening watching TV, including an episode of "Downton Abbey," from the PBS channel. We really like this popular series.

Note: we were saddened to read in the local newspaper tonight that a lady we've known for years through Extension Homemakers has died. She was 89 years old, and would have celebrated her 90th birthday later this month. She is best remembered by Mother and me as the lady who was always exhibitor number one in the women's building during the county fair. In fact, we all made sure that she was first in line to get her number, so that her record would stay intact. Her daughter, also a friend of ours, is the president of the fair board.



0 comments: