Friday, March 29, 2013

Friday, March 29

Today is Good Friday.

Had trouble going to sleep last night. The last time I checked the clock, it was nearly 3 a.m. Then we were up at 6:30 so I could get ready to go to water aerobics. The sky was black when I left, and I wondered if there'd be a thunderstorm that would send me back home. It started raining just as I arrived at the college parking lot, so I was glad I had an umbrella with me for the walk to the gym.

The pool was warm today, and nine of us showed up. We weren't in the water long, though, when there was a big flash of lightning. Four of us got out of the pool, until we were sure the storm had passed. I'm just not keen on being in a pool of water during a thunderstorm.

Our lifeguard kept a check on the storm via an app on his smartphone, and when it had passed to 30 miles away, we returned to the pool. Got a good workout with the water noodles. Fortunately, the rain had stopped by the time I needed to walk back to the parking lot.

Back home, I warmed up with a couple of cups of coffee, and later Sis accompanied Mother to our house, where they worked on the jigsaw puzzle while I got ready for the day.

For lunch, I fixed scrambled eggs in sauteed baked potato and green onions, plus American cheese, for Mother and me, in recognition of Good Friday. Hubbie and Sis chose barbecue pork sandwiches.

Afterward, I helped work on the jigsaw puzzle. We finished it this afternoon, and Mother and Sis started another challenging 500-piece one given to Mother as a birthday gift from two great-grandchildren. The border is all that they accomplished.

Later, Mother and I prepared a pot of salmon chowder for supper. We had this with oyster crackers, and slices of homemade bread that Sis brought with her.

After supper, we played Skipbo. Hubbie won two games, and Mother won one. Around 8 p.m., we enjoyed hot cross buns that I heated in the oven, along with cups of coffee. Sis made the buns, which are very tasty. She accompanied Mother to her house around 8:30, and then Hubbie watched NCAA basketball games on TV, while I idled with my laptop and e-reader tablet.

Notes:

One: we were sad to learn through our local newspaper obituaries that the husband of one of the water aerobics members has died. He was 89 years old, and had suffered several physical problems. The water aerobics member is in her 80s, too, but is in pretty good health. She is a life-long swimmer, though she has not attended aerobics in several months, due to the declining health of her husband. Recently, they had moved to an independent living center. I feel especially bad for her, because she and her husband lost their daughter about a year ago, when the daughter was killed by her estranged husband in a murder-suicide.

Two: at water aerobics last Wednesday, one of the members (our neighbor) said she was late to the session, because there had been a terrible accident on the road she takes to the college. She didn't know if anyone had been hurt. Unfortunately, our local newspaper reported on the front page that a 28-year-old woman had been killed in that accident. Apparently, she had rear-ended the car in front of her, and then bounced off that car into oncoming traffic. She was hit head on, and partially ejected from her vehicle. We were surprised to read in her obituary that there will be no funeral service for her, even though there is a list of survivors, including a husband and children.







0 comments: