Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday, Aug. 30

Up at 6 a.m. to get ready for water aerobics. The pool was pleasant enough, though one young woman thought it was so cool that she couldn't stay in it. She tried to get in it, but only walked out to where the water was waist high, then turned around the got out. I think she has a medical condition that causes her to get chilled easily. About fifteen of us enjoyed the session, though, most of us older women.

Sis still hadn't arrived by the time I got back home. I had a couple of cups of coffee, then went upstairs to get ready for the day. In the meantime, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house.

When I got back downstairs, I saw that Sis had arrived. We visited for a while, then I put lunch on the table...pimento cheese sandwiches and chips, with grapes for dessert.

Afterward, I put a ham in the oven to bake, and then Sis and I made a batch of wine jelly. Mother measured the sugar for it, but then wasn't able to stay in the kitchen for the cooking part of it, because of the strong smell of alcohol. Sis and I finished the project and got eleven four-ounce jars of the jelly, two of which didn't seal. Sis will take one of those home with her, and Daughter will inherit the other.

We weren't sure how the jelly would taste, but we tested it and it has a rich and delicious concord grape wine flavor. It'll be great served with cream cheese on crackers as a holiday treat. And it'll make great gifts for those who like wine.

Afterward, Mother and Sis worked on a jigsaw puzzle, and I read a novel on my e-reader. Hubbie watched TV.

Later, after the ham had cooked, I put a large dish of lasagna in the oven to heat, and made a salad to go with it. Served the meal with garlic bread. It was as yummy as it was last night, and there's still some leftover.

After supper, we played several games of Skipbo...Hubbie won them all. He even won a game while he was talking with his aunt on the phone (I played his hand for him, so may I should count that as half a win for me).

Sis accompanied Mother home afterward, and then Hubbie and I watched a couple of episodes of "One Tree Hill."




0 comments: