Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday, Aug. 19

Up around 7:30, and did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast. Before I went upstairs to get ready for the day, I washed veggies for Mother to slice...squash and okra. Hubbie shucked corn given to us by Son (he grew it in his garden). The okra, and some of the squash was from our garden.

Once I was dressed, I booted the office computer and wrote a letter to Mother's and my friend, to include in a birthday card I made at last week's scrapbook club meeting. Our friend is in her early 80s, and adamantly refuses to learn to use a computer.

She's a staunch believer in hand-written letters, but I'm not about to cramp my fingers handwriting a letter, so she'll have to be satisfied with a typewritten one. She hand writes a weekly letter to our other friend, who lives in a town a couple of hours east of us. That friend sometimes hand writes one back, or types one, if she's not in the handwriting mood.

Even though our friend lives right here in town, we don't often get to see her. Our opportunity to visit usually comes when our other friend spends a few days with her, and we all get together for a couple of hours.

It was close to noon by them time I came back downstairs, so I fixed our lunch...Ramen noodle soup for Mother, mushroom soup for me, and pork roast sandwich for Hubbie.

After lunch, Mother went to her jigsaw puzzle, Hubbie ran errands, and I played on my tablet, caught up on reading newspapers, and worked this week's word search puzzle contest.

Around 4 p.m., Mother diced onion and banana pepper to be added to the yellow squash, which I sauteed in olive oil. I coated the okra with flour and cornmeal, mixed with spices, and fried it. Also set a pot of corn-on-the-cob cooking. The corn came from Son's garden, and was tender delicious. Added sliced tomatoes from the garden, and a choice of cornbread or biscuits with honey. Very satisfying meal.

Afterward, Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house, and then we watched a DVD we borrowed from the library, "One Tree Hill," a TV sports drama series, which ran from 2003 to 2012.





0 comments: