Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday, Aug. 5

Was startled awake last night when a sizable limb snapped out of a tree and grazed the roof near the bedroom. Hubbie slept through the noise, but I woke him up to go and inspect. No harm was done, and the limb landed between the east end of the house and the garage.

Slept late, until after 8 a.m., but did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house around 9:30, and she worked on her jigsaw puzzle.

Got some rain today, about a half an inch according to the rain gauge, though it seemed like more, because it came down pretty hard for a while, and then continued drizzling after that.

Before I went upstairs to get ready for the day, I made a few phone calls...to the scrapbook club members to get their volunteer hours for the year; to the ophthalmologist's office to make an appointment; and to a dinner theater in the capital city to make reservations for a show. I have two complimentary tickets, won at the recent arts council summer celebration silent auction, but I needed another one for Mother.

I didn't reach either of the scrapbook club members...kept getting a busy signal for one, and had to leave a message for the other. This one called back later in the day to give me her hours, and to tell me she has acquired some punches and templates for the club. I'm anxious to see them and try them out.

Went upstairs after that, and it was nearly noon before I came back down. After lunch, Mother and I made a batch of Venus grape jelly. Naturally, I discovered I didn't have enough pectin for this, and Hubbie had to go to the grocery store for me.

While he was gone, I measured the juice, cold from the refrigerator, into a four cup glass measuring cup and put it in the microwave to heat a little, to bring it to room temperature. Then I gathered all the other stuff needed for making jelly.

When I'd gathered everything, I looked for the juice. But where was it? It wasn't on the counter, and I hadn't already poured it in the pan. Hm-m-m....did I put back it in the refrigerator, on a pantry shelf, in the other refrigerator? I was completely baffled, and Mother couldn't help me, because she didn't know where I'd put it either, even though she was sitting right there in the kitchen when I put it...(I finally remembered) in the microwave, of course.

I seriously worry about my brain sometimes...

When the jelly was done, Mother went back to her jigsaw puzzle, and I relaxed with the newspapers and my novel on e-tablet until time to fix supper.

Had leftover spaghetti, sliced tomatoes topped with cottage cheese, and French bread. The tomatoes from our garden are so mouth-watering delicious.

After supper, Hubbie went out to the garden and brought in banana peppers and okra. We put the peppers in the freezer...a quart of them. We'll collect the okra until there's enough to cook in a few days.

Watched TV after that until bedtime.





 





 



0 comments: