Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wednesday, March 5

Today is Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of Lent.

We were up around 8 a.m., and I did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast. Then, before I went upstairs to get ready for the day, I made a recipe of macaroni and cheese.

Around 11:30, Hubbie took a serving of the mac and cheese, along with a serving of leftover tilapia fish that I had taken out of the freezer earlier to thaw a little, over to Mother's house for her lunch. This fish lunch was in observance of Ash Wednesday.

Hubbie and I settled for PB&J sandwiches for lunch. Afterward, we busied ourselves doing things related to the family gathering Saturday. We moved one of the couches back to make room for tables and chairs, and moved the sofa table against a wall to act as a serving area for desserts. Hubbie vacuumed, and I did this and that to begin sprucing the house.

I gathered various items to give to family who come Saturday, including magazines, children's books, birthday and baby gifts, coupons, canned foods that are not salt free (Hubbie bought these by mistake), and other stuff.

I wanted to add a small bag of sweet potatoes to the tote of "stuff" to give to Son and Daughter-in-law, and in so doing, I noticed that some of the potatoes were starting to go south, so I culled those out and baked them for the freezer.

Then I read a stack of newspapers that have been collecting over the past few days, and worked this week's word search puzzle contest.

Later, we took food over to Mother's house for supper. I heated fried potatoes, sweet potatoes, and macaroni and cheese in her oven, and served the meal with leftover canned cranberry sauce. It was a strange combination of high-carb foods, but it tasted good, and it was meatless in observance of Ash Wednesday.

We returned home after supper, and watched our favorite state college basketball team live streaming online, as they played to a very wide-margin win. This is not our favorite way to watch a game, but it's better than not being able to watch one at all. Of course, the games are always on radio, but that's our least favorite choice.

Watched one-hour shows on TV after that.

Temps rose today, making the icy yard and driveway slushy enough to walk on without fear of falling. I opted out of going to the art gallery meeting this evening, though. I don't think I was really needed, anyway. And I wanted to be home to get the basketball game on my laptop, since Hubbie wouldn't have known how to do that.






0 comments: