Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sunday, March 2

I woke up at 6 a.m. this morning and at 6:30 I decided to head to the shower. I wanted to be fresh, dressed and ready in case wintry weather causes the power to go out...though I'm fervently hoping that it doesn't happen.

Downstairs, I started a pot of chicken stewing. Hubbie helped by dicing onions, carrots, and celery. Afterward, he checked on Mother. I fully expected her to want to stay home today, so I was surprised when a little while later, she came over, accompanied by Hubbie.

I remarked that if freezing rain began, she would probably need to go back home. I laughed when she said, "I'm not leaving until I get lunch." Fortunately, the weather held until then.

For lunch, I baked sweet potatoes, and heated a ham slice and canned asparagus in the oven. Served the meal with a side of canned cranberry sauce. Mother commented that it was like a holiday meal.

Afterward, we watched an episode of "When Calls the Heart."  When the show was over at 1:30, it began to thunder-sleet. Hubbie went to Mother's house to check the wheelchair ramp and came back to say it was beginning to get slick, so he sprinkled kitty litter on it. Then he accompanied Mother home.

During stormy or wintry events, I always suggest that Mother stay at our house, but she always refuses. So if there is a power outage, it'll be a struggle to get her back over here, or to the camper, if we have to stay out there for a time.

Hubbie and I spent the afternoon watching TV, including a thoroughly unbelievable disaster movie starring Stephen Baldwin, in which a massive asteroid collides with the moon, causing a gargantuan fissure on it. Of course Baldwin must travel to the moon and take care of the problem, if the earth is to be saved.

Followed that watching episodes of "Friday Night Lights."

For supper, we had helpings of the chicken noodle soup, which was good on this cold night. I'd sent a serving of it home with Mother earlier.

The wintry weather continued on and off all afternoon, and by 6 p.m., sleet as deep as snow covered the ground, and ice began forming on the trees. It is expected to continue through the night, so it's obvious I will not be going to water aerobics in the morning.

In fact, I'm not sure if there will be water aerobics for the rest of the week, since a message on the aerobics leader's social network page stated that the boiler at the pool is acting up again. This could mean the pool will be down until repairs can be made.

0 comments: