Monday, November 26, 2007

White Christmas Tree

On Saturday, we trimmed what we call the white Christmas tree. It's actually a green artificial tree, but most of the decorations for it are either white or clear, and with the white silk poinsettia blossoms, strands of clear twinkle lights, and pearl garlands, it appears white.

This living room tree, my husband's favorite, is in full view from the dining room, and he likes to dim the lights and look at it during meals. I like the tree, too, for the special ornaments on it, like a small, white ceramic spoon filled with frankinscence and myrrh and wrapped in white netting. I bought this ornament several years ago at a local craft fair. At the same craft fair a few years later, I bought a delicate hand-blown clear glass camel with gold trim. Both ornaments are imports from the Middle East, and were being sold to raise money for a church mission.

Another prized ornament is a Swarovski crystal star, given to me as a gift. I love how it's prisms catch the light. And then there are the wonderful crocheted snowflakes, made by my mother, the delicate string art geometric ornaments I got as an exchange gift at one of the organizations I belong to, and the ceramic doves and angels made by the same friend who made my Christmas village. I'm especially fond, too, of a couple of porcelain angels made by the very talented wife of a former co-worker. I got these as an office exchange gift a year or so before he and I both retired.

There are other handmade ornaments on the tree, too, made by both Mother and me. Most of the ornaments, though, are ones we've collected in our travels...some glass, like a beautiful little hummingbird that Mother gave me for Christmas one year...and others made of clear acylic.

The tree is not spectacular, but it is pretty, and its overall monotone white is relaxing and peaceful. Add soothing instrumental Christmas music, and the living room is a favorite haven from chaos during this busy season.

0 comments: