Saturday, February 16, 2008

Popsicle Water Aerobics

Last Monday morning, I walked into a frigid dressing room at the college gymnasium where the swimming pool is located. Seems the boiler that heats the building is down for repairs. The pool is still heated (by separate boiler, I suppose), but it sure is shivery peeling down to my swimsuit, rinsing off in the shower, and scurrying, wet, in the arctic wind-tunnel air to the pool upstairs.

Once in the pool, I'm okay, but getting out again is a shock. I lose no time wrapping in my sheet towel, and hurrying downstairs to shimmy into my fleece wear, throw on my coat, hat, and gloves, and scoot to my car. It takes a long time standing under a hot shower at home to thaw out.

The cold gym is discouraging some ladies from attending water aerobics, but twenty or so of us are braving it. We all hope, though, that the boiler problem will soon be solved...before we turn into popsicles.

0 comments: