Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Interesting Wednesday

We could have slept later this morning if nature hadn't called Hubbie and me around 7 a.m. Since we were wide awake after that, we launched into the day. After breakfast, I did a 30-minute walk on the treadmill. Mid-morning, Mother came over, and we gathered together various items for two birthday gifts and a baby shower gift for this weekend.

Although we have a couple of drawers filled with gift bags of assorted sizes, wouldn't you know we didn't have the right size for the baby shower gift that includes a large package of disposable diapers. So off we went to the dollar store. Once there, we couldn't resist browsing through scrapbook supplies, which meant we couldn't resist picking up rubber stamps, a photo trimmer, and several cards of alphabet stickers. And we found what we came for, too...a large baby gift bag.

We settled for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and bananas for lunch, and then Mother and I went to the beauty shop for haircuts. From there, we visited the farmer's market for the first time this year. Hooray! Our state's luscious strawberries are in. I picked up a couple of quarts, but we'll be visiting frequently to pick up flats of the them to put in the freezer. The market vendor has my name and number so she can let me know when she gets a new shipment from the southern part of our state, where the juiciest berries are grown. I also bought Florida tomatoes that the vendor assures me are good, and a box of new potatoes.

From the farmer's market, we went to walk at the college lake. There was only one other person at the lake today, a young Hispanic man who pointed out something unusual...a crow feeding on a large black and yellow kingsnake that he said this bird and another one had teamed up to kill. One bird, he said snapped at the back end of the snake, while the other one attacked the striking head. I know that crows are opportunistic and will feed on whatever they find, including carrion, but this is the first time I've heard of them killing kingsnakes.

Like always, I learn something new every day.

0 comments: